Organic, soy-free chicken feed?

ZohBug

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 26, 2009
Hello, we're getting our first chickens tomorrow and they're 1mo Nankin bantys. We searched high and low for organic chick starter today only to discover that they all have soy in them. I then looked at the medicated chicken feed (which is what the breeder has them on now, but since we're starting them off indoors, I'm not concerned about cocci) and they all have soy as well. Is there such a thing as organic, soy free chicken feed, or am I going to have to make my own? If I need to make my own, could someone please give me some ideas of where to start? Thanks!

I have always used the Greener Pastures recipe. You can get all of the ingredients from your local health food store in the bulk bins. Then if you decide you like the recipe you can order the 55lb bags of the bulk items and save some money. My chicks really enjoy the recipe. When I sat a bowl of standard chick feed next to the greener pastures recipe they all ignored the chick feed and went straight for the whole grains!

Last edited:
Thanks! I saw your list and have checked all the WI ones already. I'll definitely let you know if I find any new ones!

The list has been an on again off again project for awhile. I just started back working on it again. I would love to know if you find more. I know there a bunch of BYC members that prefer a soy free feed, organic or not.

Thanks.

Yeah, soy-free is the tough part. I was able to find organic at all the stores. Right now I'm trying to see if one of the farmers I buy soy-free eggs from is willing to sell me some of the feed he makes himself or "sell" me his recipe. I really want to save on shipping and since this is my first experience with chickens, I'm not too confident about making my own feed quite yet, but I will if I must.

The list has been an on again off again project for awhile. I just started back working on it again. I would love to know if you find more. I know there a bunch of BYC members that prefer a soy free feed, organic or not.

I'm a very new newbie.....I looked at your site but found nothing in TEXAS....any hints or ideas...
anywhere 50miles of the Dallas area
THANKS

Quote:

I'm a very new newbie.....I looked at your site but found nothing in TEXAS....any hints or ideas...
THANKS

I have found nothing North of the Austin, 3 hours or more South. I have not gotten around to compiling all the addresses and hyperlinks.

Quote:

THANKS

Okay, I think I found one.

North Haven Gardens
7700 Northaven Road
Dallas, TX
214-363-5316

I know it is not a traditional feed store, but according to Coyote Creek Organic Feed, they recently became a retailer for it. However, they recommend you call ahead to make sure it is in stock. That is the best I can do. I hope it helps.

And I added TX to the list https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=283211

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom