Cocks behaving badly ..

Rennie

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Derbyshire, England
2 of our cocks have been at each other today and both are in a pretty bad way .. Both have been cut up pretty bad on their heads .. I just want to know if there is any home remedy that would heal their wounds or shall i just leave them to heal themselves ..

Would it hurt for me to bath them now too .. seeing how both look as if they have been in mud baths ...or should i wait for wounds to heal

Hope this isnt to much of a daft question ..just never seen cocks in this state before .. They are both just stood in there "prison cells" with there eyes closed and not moving much .... (They are both alive though before anyone asks )

Last edited:
Combs and wattles bleed like crazy and make things look really bad, but the injuries to them are seldom life threatening. My guess is that both of them have totally exhausted themselves and will need time to get feeling good again.

I usually just leave situations like this alone but I am sure others can give you some ideas. I dont think I would bath the total bird at this point it would just add to their fatigue and stress. You might clean up the combs a bit if you find it necessary.

I would let them rest and not bath at this time .. Too much stress and they may go into shock.. Are the seperated now from eachother and other chickens?? You dont want them with other chickens as they may peck at the injuries...

They are separated now yes ..

Like i say .Ive put them in prison cells lol ... for punishment and for there own good lol ..

From what you both say then, i think ill leave them a few days to see how they get on then clean them up when they become more active ..

Thanks for the advice

Now that you have seperated them, they probably won't ever get along. You'll need to make sure to keep them seperated from now on so you don't have a repeat of today.

I was shocked to see this happening at all to be honest .. They have been roaming free together for many months ..

Is it possible they were fighting over girls ? .. We have some hens that i would say are obsessed with Red one of the cocks ... could the other have tried it on with them and got a beating for it .. (well i say beating they are both in the same state)

Quote:
I had the same thing happen, once. 2 roos that lived together all their lives, never had a problem with either one, they got along great, even though they lived with a bunch of hens. Occasionally, they'd spar a bit: fluff up their hackles and jump at each other a bit, but never got serious. Suddenly one day, they starting fighting and really trying to hurt each other. I had to keep them seperate and ultimately, I rehomed one of them.

It happens with virtually all species, they fight for the right to first choice in the breeding pen. If you put two bulls together they will fight, if you put two stallions together and so on. I beleive that roosters are more likely to fight to the finish than many other species but horses will tear each other to shreds and bulls will fight to total exhaustion. Bull dont have the ability to tear with their teeth like a horse so those fights if the horns have been removed are seldom as damaging.

I am guessing that these fellows probably have it settled for now. Seems as though the second fellow in line gave as good as he got.

Well Red has always been the "boss" so to speak . Standing on his fence crowing all day ..Today though he was hiding under a caravan like he was scared to death..
maybe the other who definitely gave as good as he got is coming to a stage in his life where he wants to be the "boss" even though i believe they are the same age...

.. Looks like they will have to have alternate days out of the cages .. Dont think we should risk having them both out at the same time again ..

What i also dont understand is there are about 5 or 6 cocks running around during the day and this is the first real issue we have had ... I blame the girls lol

Back
Top Bottom