Feeding fish to chickens

ChickenEllis

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 21, 2009
I catch a ton of barred surf perch when i go surf fishing around where i live. I normally throw them back because they are bland and boney but i'm thinking i might bring one back to feed to chickens. Would the bones or scales pose a problem?

Would it be better to cook it first?

Um, why can't you feed chickens raw meat? Chickens eat things like mice and small mammels all the time....Which would be raw meat
hmm.png

A lot of people on here have reported that their chickens eat mice, frogs, etc. Are those not bones & raw meat? I don't understand. Give me a
smack.gif
and elaborate, please.
Thanks, I'm just a little slow this morning; haven't finished the second cup of coffee yet.
smile.png

Bugs are raw too, so I'm sure a little raw meat wouldn't be bad. I wouldn't feel comfortable feeding raw chicken or beef to them, maybe not even raw fish...I'd maybe cook it. The bones in the fish are dangerous for humans to eat b/c they are so small. Now are the dangerous for chickens? I don't know.

I'd say raw meat might be fine now and then. But the bones in the fish might be a choking hazard. I'd slash both sides of the fish to the bones then boil em a bit. Should soften up the bones fine.

edited cause I can't spell for manure

Last edited:
I would definitely feed. I actually stopped at a fish market close to me last week to ask if I could take any scraps they have home to feed my chooks, but they said they don't have any
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom