First Aid Kit for the coop..

AccidentalFarm

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 29, 2007
Texas
I've started making a list of first aid supplies to pick up so that I can have them on hand if ever needed instead of finding myself in a frenzy trying to scramble in an emergency. Can anyone make suggestions of what I should include? Even if I do not purchase and have on hand everything on the list, I'd like to write things on a notecard so that I can easily reference if necessary as I do not know what 'common' ailments/injuries to expect.

Such as:

Food Grade DE- for dusting birds and coop, I believe helps with mites and lice
Saline Solution-for washing out cuts/wounds/eyes
Hydrogen Peroxide- I've heard yay's and nay's on this. Storey's recommended using it on wounds. ????
Neosporin- topical for wounds, will this hurt their eyes?
Bandages-???
Eprinex- mites/lice
Wazine- round worms

Please feel free to suggest additions, or even removal of items from the list. I just don't know what to expect and would like to be prepared. Additionally, I prefer an organic approach whenever possible.

Thanks!

I have a horses and one cut her eye lid and had to have it stitched. The vet told me to put Neosporin in her eye to fight off infection. But it had to be the type without pain reliever. so I think it would be just fine for chicken eyes as long as it was that type.

Last edited:
Blu-Kote is a antiseptic wound dressing. It is great to stop picking on wounds of any kind.
It is also germicidal-fungicidal and is a must to keep on hand.

bigzio

We've had this thread before...I will try to locate it and put the link in....

As far as neosporin for the eyes.... I prefer terramycin ointment....it is made for the eyes specifically. Found at most feed stores or the vet.

Peroxide can be very effective- however it "eats" the top layer of cells when you use it. For deep wounds, I use betadyne "tea"...just add enough water to make it to a tea color. You can flush the wound and know that it's ok for it to be used internally (it's what they use during surgeries).

Besides for dusting- I also use DE as a worm preventative. Just add to their feed and if they free range, add to their treats as well (as they don't eat as much feed).

Edited to add: I found two threads, the first is more comprehensive and also has my huge list of a first aid kit.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=454
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2077

Sandra

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

I had searched for threads like this but didnt come up with any. I'll check out the ones you listed, sandrachick.

Quote:
How early do you start adding the DE into their feed? Will it be harmful at all to chicks?

I am currently looking for a supplier of food-grade DE, it doesn't appear to be readily available locally.

I read that after you clean out the injury you can use a little square from an empty tea bag and a little drop of superglue. This should fall of by the time the wound has healed, and the other chickens won't notice it enough to peck at it. :)

If they have an injury that you need to work on it is easier to wrap them up in a towel. Wrap tight enough to hold them but not so it's squeezing them. It helps them feel secure and they can't scratch you. You can also cover their eyes if the injury isn't on their head.

If they break their beak generally it is close to the tip where they don't have any nerve endings so it won't hurt to clip it off (which you can do with a dog nail clipper). Just wrap, snip, clean, glue, and stick.

It is VERY important to CLEAN the injury! This could be the reason they recover or not.

Back
Top Bottom