WHAT ARE YOUR CKN FIRST-AID KIT *MUST HAVES*???

Pics

d.k

red-headed stepchild
11 Years
Feb 6, 2008
Southeast Coast of Florida
* Reading the E/D/I forum got me wondering this. . . I'M TALKING THE BASICS!! If you've got a ckn defibrilator -- keep it to yourself, 'kay?
smile.png
4 of mine: FOAMING PUMP TEARLESS BABY SHAMPOO-(dollar store) *EXCELLENT* STUFF on CHICKENS: wounds, head/eye washing; 1000 Q-TIPS; AND SM. BTL. REGULAR HYDROGEN PEROXIDE; & (drugstore brand) *SALINE* NASAL SPRAY-- CUZ THE BTL. SPRAYS, SQUIRTS OR DRIPS THE STUFF & IT'S CHEAPER!!

Last edited:
Neosporin
Bagbalm (not an emergency item but nice to have on hand - does great job rejuvenating scaly legs that are not looking good for whatever reason)
V&E
Avia Charge 2000 (not a first aid thing really, but a staple)
Pure aspirin (FIVE 325 mg aspirins crushed per gallon of water for pain, when bird not bleeding significantly)
Betadine (maybe...used a few times 9 parts water 1 part betadine to clean wounds)
Antibiotics -Someone else can advise as to the best antibiotics. My feed store carries only Terramycin and Sulmet.
Clean syringes/droppers -in case a med needs to be slowly, carefully dribbled along beak line so they swallow it
Vet RX -I have this stuff somewhere, haven't had much occasion to use it and still not sure best circumstances for it or best way to administer, tho it is often mentioned on BYC
Wormer - in case get hit hard and fast with worms and don't have easy access to the stuff at nearby stores.
Something to protect combs in frigid weather

I'm sure I'm missing lots of things but this is the first bunch of things that popped into my head......
JJ

Edited to add that a number of homeopathics could be good to have on hand..Rescue Remedy may help with calming, for example.

Last edited:
Vet wrap
Baby sox
flea and tick stuff
DE
Syringes without needles
One with a needle.
Vicks for noses and wingpits
Stethoscope (ok so it was my mothers) but it helps to hear whether your birdy is raspy or not.
Eye wash
Saline solution
Hydrogen Peroxide
Neosporin
Gauze
Bandaids
Bandage Tape
Vet wrap
Popsicle Sticks
Ice pack
Scissors
Buckley's Mixture (easier for me to get than VetRx.)
Tea Tree Oil

This is just a few things that I can think of and some of these are in my "person" emergency kit too.

Antibiotics/Meds of choice are:
Baytril (or one of the generics)-AB
Rimadyl (or one of the generics)-pain mgmt.
Needless syringe for force watering/feeding
Baby shampoo
Betadine/Iodine
***8oz Betadine/8oz baby shampoo is a great body antiseptic wash when you need to clean wounds AND the bird. I have a premixed bottle on hand for any pets that need it. Makes the white feathers whiter too.

Last edited:
what I can think of:

poultry dust (Ectiban D..durvet) and Sevin dust for mites
Wazine 17 (piperazine) wormer
Ivermectin wormer

Vitamins and electrolytes (durvet)
AvianCharge 2000

neosporin
panalog (generic..animax)
betadine
saline
antibiotic eye drops