Can you keep chickens and ducks together?

Cat Water

That Person
9 Years
Jul 4, 2010
Mid Coast Maine
I have chickens, but my sister wants a duck or two. Will they get along? I have the option to separate the coop if that is needed. They would be in a 10x10 chain link fence during the day. They would be in there with no more than 8 chickens - 4 of those are bantams. Can it work?

Cool beans! Does it matter if they are ducks or drakes? What about the breed? Will they be allright if they eat non-medicated chicken feed? I have lots of questions!

you need to constantly change your water and clean up your floor if you mix the 2, water fowl will foul your water very quickly..... and wet floor is a big no-no for chickens.

If I put some hardware cloth in between them in the coop, will the mess and spilled water stay on that side? The ground is wet most of the time here anyway. If that makes a difference. What if it is just one or two ducks?

I have 5 pekins in the run with my 7 chickens. They all get along fine, they ignore each other. The duck have a turtle sandbox that I fill with water each day and they usually stay outside while the chickens go in the coop at night.

I have a Cayuga pair in my flock of chickens. For a while, they spent their nights in the coop (in a corner) with the chickens, but they've turned into watch ducks and do not want to go to bed at dusk. The whole flock free ranges during the day and the ducks don't want to go back into the run at night any more.

So, I know I may someday be sorry I don't put them in the run at night, but for the time being, they're keeping watch on the whole yard. They tend to settle down on the front stoop, but by the time all the chickens come out of the coops, the ducks are back at the gate to the run, waiting for me to come let the chickens out to free range. Plus, I toss out a couple handsful of BOSS every morning..... (and every evening when I get home from work).

But they all get along just fine. There was some minor skirmishes as they were growing up, mostly clucking and running on the part of the chickens, when the ducks billed them... they're so curious, and they would pull feathers. Sometimes I find them sleeping together next to a couple of pullets, under the rose bushes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom