Lawnmower vs Rooster GRAPHIC PICS/ Saying Goodbye

Lorije1

Songster
9 Years
Mar 13, 2010
not mine
My neighbor is 91yrs old and has a bunch of chickens free ranging on about an acre. He has a huge, beautiful BO rooster. I don't know the details, just that he came to the fence with the rooster in a net and said he "got in the lawnmower and hurt his leg". He was going to put him in the bachelor pad and hope for the best. As he turned away - it looked like one of the bird's toes was missing and his leg was covered in blood, there was blood on his wingtips as well. Mr B said he ws going to hope for the best because he didn't know what to do.

Please help! I am willing to work on this beautiful bird if I only know how. I will take pics when Mr. B gets back to his house. I have yogurt and Vit B.... I think I have a packet of electrolytes

Last edited:
Get some betadine and plenty of neosporin (without pain reliever) ,septic powder to stop bleeding, gauze as well. Prepare a hospital cage. Feed him yogurt and scrambled egg with some feed.

ok... think I have neo but no betadine ( I know... first aid basics). I will fix some eggs now and head up to check on him. He's such a beautiful bird.

I have eggs boiling but the old man is still cutting his grass. Hopefully as soon as the eggs are done I can go up though... he is usually in bed by 530. I did go to the bachelor pad and the poor bird is standing up kind of hobbling / hopping around, so at least he is active.

My huge concern is fire ants. Any tips on that ? (by the way, always glad to see you respond to emergency posts, dawg.... my JG hen is doing tons better!)

Your welcome Lorije1. Is there anyway you can get him out of the bachelor pad and get him in a cage or something so that you can treat him? I would be more concerned about fly's and maggots, but darned fire ants are a concern too.

Ok.... my dad called the old man for me and asked if I could try to help the rooster... he said come get him. I don't have permission to cull... and for the first time in my young chicken owner life, I wish I could. This bird has to be in horrible horrible pain. He ate boiled egg and yogurt, he hops on his good leg. I think the other one is not only amputated at teh foot, but broken as well. If he makes it until Monday I will see if my small animal vet will take a look at him for me. I used a ton of triple antibiotic on his stump (not neo, but no "caine" in it), gave him some more egg and yogurt, some fresh water and put him on a beach towel in my dog's 48" wire kennel in the back of my stock trailer.
I am so heartbroken for this poor bird. He is beautiful, and has been polite even though he didn't want me catching / carrying him.

I call him Kubota

51084_kubota.jpg

51084_kubotaleg2.jpg

51084_kubotaleg.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Holy crapola! That poor poor bird! Clean those wounds real good with diluted betadine water-really flush those wounds----neosporin without numbing ajents in it and bandage that sucker up -oooh poor baby!!!

I know
hit.gif

headed to the drugstore for some betadine and a ton of antibiotics. Any tips on bandaging a chicken leg?
And he is a huge rooster. He has been polite but I am still nervous around him. To catch him I dropped a light blanket over him and wrapped him up. He tried to get away until I picked him up, then he was nice enough.

Quote:
They are usually nice after you pick them up because you have dominated them-and the fact that he is badly hurt sucks bullets! Use gauze if you have it or vet wrap---you want to clean those wounds good then apply the neo-then wrap tight enough to hold loose enough not to cut off circulation-this wil have to be done everday--change the wrap each time.

Oh my poor guy.Yea the betadine will be good for that leg.The best treatment is to give it an initiail cleaning and keep it dry and away from flie's.That foot is pretty bad looking so basicly in my opinion I would do a penicillin shot.You can do them yourself I have rarely ever had to give pen. to a bird and it is a small dose also.You may be able to save him though with keeping the leg clean and covered with clean guaze.I use antibiotic sprays usualy if wound's are not too bad and then do oinments once they heal some.It is less tamatizing to the wounds and the birds with the sprays.But this is a foot/leg wound so I would gently try some ointment and that will keep the gauze from sticking to the wound.Just try to keep him inside it is summer and the flie's will quickly cause maggots.Good luck please update us.

Back
Top Bottom