Proud Papa of baby Chicks!

Loco Ken

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 13, 2010
Pacific NW
Well, I have to admit. I'm a forum junkie and why not one more to get to know your chickens, right?

New here and I can already tell you all are a bunch of fine people. But what should I expect from people who are into going back to the basics anyway? Most people who I know that farm or raise their own food in big or small matters are just that, Fine People! Thank you for allowing me to be here.
smile.png

Hey, I forgot about the chicks!

Anyway, I've been bothering the wife about getting started with some chickens for quite some time now. And since a friend asked me to come over and help build his coop and seeing his chicks grow, I've had chickens on my mind! I asked the wife just a few days ago (Thursday) if she would mind if we got some chicks (the reason is I saw that the local feed store just got a batch in) and she didn't give me a "no" or a "yes" so I took that as "you make the decision" and came home with 6 today. I probably only have enough room for a coop that can hold no more than 4 but I bought with the caution that one or two might not make it. Came home with 2 each of RIR's, BR's, and Ameraucana's. I really don't know a whole lot other than what I've read online, but how big should I build a coop and run for these girls? I've looked at a bunch of the coops shown in the "Coop" section here on this site and found a few that I like but I'm getting mixed answers from how big I need it to be and how many nest boxes I need. And about the chicks, the feed store said they are all gonna be hens and they've been sexed before they get to them. Is that possible to sex them so early? Well, if one or two are roo's, they will have to be dinner before long as I live in a neighborhood that will not appreciate it. Anyway, I'm totally stoked about this whole chicken thing because I've been wanting to get into a small farm setting for just about as long as I've been alive. Grew up in South Dakota and have lived away from home for longer than I did there. So I'm ready to get back to the basics. Looked at 5 ac. this last Monday but will have to wait just a little more before I can afford to go that big. Living just outside of the city limits so chickens are O.K. here.

Well, I've been rambling on for too long now, but it's late and I can't sleep. Like I said, got chickens on the brain. Here's a few pics for ya of my little girls:

Your two Easter Eggers are pretty! and so are the other four.

Good luck. Get the coop built before the snows fly!

Awwww. What sweet little babies. I loved my barred rocks at that age. They were so good at snuggles. Enjoy the pure fluff stage, it goes by so quick. And good luck on your coop building.
smile.png

Welcome to the most rewarding addiction I know of! You have now found the best group of enablers on the planet (BYC) and I recommend you build that coop twice as big as you were originally thinking, because you won't be able to help yourself when you see more chicks!

MMMMMUUUUUUOOOOOOHHHHHAAAAAA!

So glad you joined us!

You obviously didn't read enough on this forum.....most say to build the coop first, then get the chicks. But I guess you did what most people did, just the opposite. lol. (me too!)

Congrats papa. Enjoy you new babies and getting building. They get big real quick.

Congrats on the new babies and for joinging BYC!

The recommended size on the coop is 4 square feet/bird in the coop and 10 square feet/bird in the run, thus:

Coop measurements: 6 chicks X 4sf/chicken = 24sf
Run measurements: 6 chicks X 10sf/chicken = 60sf

Good luck, have fun and
welcome-byc.gif

Babiessssss!!!!!
ya.gif
So cute! Eggciting isnt it? Welcome the the addicts site. So, to answer some of your questions. A coop can be whatever you would like it to be. My husband built a chicken tractor for our 8 girls after perusing the site for a while. It is an 8x4 tractor with a 10x8 pvc movable yard that hooks up to the tractor. Look at my byc site and you will see pics. You dont say where you are from. Geography generally determines the type of coop you will need to build. The general rule held here is 4 sq ft per bird inside and 10 outside. Since ours will be locked in for the winter, thats what we went with. We have 2 nest boxes on the wall and 2 of the girls have just started laying in them. Still waiting for the other six to pony up their feed bill! We use a tractor so that we can move it every day or every other day to give them fresh ground to graze. We also freerange in the evening under supervision for an hour or two. I also bought the Building chicken coops for dummies book and found that very helpful with some great building plans for different coops. Food for thought. In about 8 weeks or so you will want them in their own home so start building now! In the meantime, enjoy those little fuzzy butts and handle them alot so they get used to it.

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I know I will enjoy myself here because like I said, you all seem like very nice people!

Quote:
I'm guessing you're talking about the Ameraucanas, right? Man, I have so much to learn! I saw that they lay green or blue eggs and that got me excited....no wait, I meant Eggcited!!!
celebrate.gif
I am so looking forward to having fresh eggs. Spring can't get here fast enough!
Quote:
I agree 100%!!!
Quote:
I was afraid you guys were going to say that! Right now I'm having a hard time deciding where to put the coop so as not to attract predators and/or unwelcome human visitors when I'm not home. I have a small space between the house and the fence that might work. I promise to post pics as soon as I can. I won't be able to build the coop until next week because I'm finishing my son's bedroom (sheetrock mudding/ taping, texturing, painting) this week. I already have too many projects. Why did I take on one more?!?!?!
Quote:
Ha ha ha.....yeah, I know. I figured I have at least a couple of weeks but I will probably have to build a bigger Brooder first! Some cheap plywood and some wire should do the trick! The coop will be started next week so I'm sure I'll be done in time......that is if the wife doesn't give me another project!
ep.gif

Quote:
I'm on the Kitsap Peninsula across the Puget Sound from Seattle in a town called Bremerton. Looking to move out of town to rural Seabeck on some property in the next year or so, depending on how our economy goes. Sorry for not posting that. Being from the rainy Pacific NW, I'll have to be creative on the coop and run. Don't want them catchin' cold, or needing to borrow my wife's hair dryer! I have been thinking that I will make the coop in two parts though like you talk about with the run detachable for ease of moving. We'll see. Maybe I can design it in Google's Sketchup first and show you guys what I'm thinking of. Hmmmm......
Quote:
I am afraid of that, Sheila!
....oh by the way the BR you are holding look like maybe boy, large headspot lighter color

Egad! I hope not.....because I will have some real unhappy neighbors. Either way, I'll be keeping a close eye on them to see which ones may be roosters and which ones won't be dinner to lean the flock. This has probably already been done, but my good friend that I was talking about in my first post named his two roo's Lunch and Dinner when he found out he had them. Too funny! He lives in a more rural area that can support them more than I can so it's not as critical for him as it is me. I hate to see any of them go, but I just can't let that happen here.

Well, thanks for the replies everyone! I will be sure to post more photos of the chicks as they progress and some of the coop and the bigger and more improved brooder as well when I get to that point. You all seem so nice. Glad I found this site! Talk to you soon!

Ken​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom