Showgirl thread- for posting pictures and discussing breed!

Pics

rilly10

Clover Field Farm
9 Years
May 18, 2010
Pottstown, PA
There seem to be lots of posts on here that showgirls are showing up on. I wanted to start an official showgirl thread so all of us showgirl lovers could discuss breeding techniques and share pictures and information about out birds and projects!

I will start off....

I have a lavender bowtied showgirl rooster who I have paired with a black split to lavender silkie hen and a lavender silkie hen. The lavender hen has been laying for about a week now so I just set 6 eggs from her. I these will be the first eggs from this pairing so I HOPE he is fertile! He sure likes the ladies! I couldn't bare to crack open the eggs to test them so I set them and will candle on Weds.

I really love this roo but his neck is a bit light so I am pairing him with the darkest skinned hens I have. I have a black pullet who I will put with him when she is older and at that point I will take the Lav hen out so he will produce all black split chicks who I will then breed back to him to hopefuly darken up the bare necks.

57966_lav_sg_6.jpg

57966_lav_sg_back_3.jpg

Also wanted to add since I love to think in %'s...

Clean neck X Clean neck = 100% Clean necks (Non-bowtied)
Clean neck X Bowtie = 50% Bowties, 50% Clean neck
Clean neck X Silkie = 100% Bowties
Silkie X Bowtie = 50% Silkies, 50% Bowties
Bowtie X Bowtie = 50% Bowties, 25% Clean necks, 25% Silkies

If I missed any or have one wrong please chime in!

Last edited:
Quote:
I have read that breeding SG to SG, would cause too much "nakedness". Breeding SG to Silkie ...certain percentage of offspring would still have naked neck, but feathering & silkie "type" would improve the showgirls.

I am by no means an expert....I'm pretty new to showgirls...would love to hear what others have to say!

I have 2 partridge SGs (hen & roo)...2 white SG pullets...2 lav/splits unknown sex as of now, 2 black SGs (hen & roo...I think
smile.png
) Also have a gorgeous Lav silkie roo....and many awesome black silkie hens! All are 8 months or less. Lav showgirls are my ultimate goal!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Good point! I plan on breeding SG to silkie as well to improve type, skin color, and combs.

One other thing the silkie chicks that hatch out from a SG to silkie breeding will not carry the SG gene. I like to think of the clean necks a double dose, and bowties as a single dose, while the silkies are just that...silkies!

Oh and Perolane...please post pics when you get a chance! I would love to see more showgirls!

Perhaps someone with more experience than I will join in & help us out. I know that crossing to "good" silkies will indeed improve foot feathering, skin coloring, & combs...as you mentioned Rilly....but, after you've perfected these areas, can you go SG X SG?

If I can remember correctly
wink.png
My partridges : female is naked neck, male has bowtie
white pullets: both bowties
lav/splits: one of each
blacks: both naked necks

I will post pics first chance I get. It's been getting dark so early now & work has been crazy busy!

Here is one of the babies born last week end. I'll post more shortly. The babies are 16th Generation. The partridge on my profile picture is f14. We are getting White, Partridge, Gray Partridge, Gray, Splash, and Black Showgirls.

We breed Showgirls to Silkies... Bearded and Non Bearded. I like the BowTies the best. Ours are having all Silkie Characteristics most of the time. We do get occasional 4 toes.

35853_showgirl_babies.jpg

From what I am seeing the "Boys" do tend to have a little lighter neck and more red shows up. I have a Black 15th Generation... no Turken since the initial breeding and he has a Mulberry Comb and neck. I have not bred him to another Showgirl yet. I was told the same thing... Showgirl to Showgirl = less quality. But I think I'll put it to the test on the 16th Generation babies when they are old enough. I can not wait to see what color the baby in the pic above turns out to be. Any of you with an idea...??? Let me know and we will track it through feathering out and see!!!

OMG those babies are too cute! the one looks like a buff and the other maybe partridge? What colors were the parents? I would love to see more pics!

I agree with Rilley on the possible colors...gorgeous babies!!

bpgraham ...I thought I was the only person in Louisiana with Showgirls!! They're hard to find here!! You're out east...near the Mississippi line?? I'm just south of Alexandria...smack in the middle!
big_smile.png

Yea, we are just north of New Orleans across Lake Ponchatrain.

We have fell in love with the Showgirls. Don't have any yet that we are selling, just trying to establish our breeders. I need some different lines. Do you have any eggs? What about the Lavenders Rilley? You have any?

I would like some Buffs, Lavenders, and Lavender Splits. I'll be adding more pics!! SO GLAD YOU CREATED THIS THREAD!! WE'VE GOT TO MAKE SURE IT TAKES OFF!!

Back
Top Bottom