Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco AND Hova-Bator 1602N Set!** Hatching Pics **

Baralak

Songster
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
West "By God" Monroe, La
Ok Folks... Here is the skinney.

I see a lot of folks asking questions about both of these bators, I thought I would just set up a little Bator Test. Both of these are designed to do one thing, and that's to hatch eggs. Both just go about it a little differently.

Octagon 20 Eco. This bator was ready to go right out of the box. I am sure some of you remember it when I recieved it a few months ago. But just to revisit, Set up was easy, just take it out of the box, adjust temp if needed, place rails, eggs, water and boom.
67636_one.jpg

The Hova was a little harder to get setup. The wafer thermostat took a little bit of time, as well as seting it for the correct temp. The egg turner was a little more challenging, infact I broke one of the trays but it works. It wasn't that hard, but was harder than the Brinsea. I have pulled my plugs.
67636_two.jpg

67636_three.jpg

Here it is with my test hatch... This has 4 SWL, 6BA, and 12 BO crossed with RIR. Each bator has 2 SWL, 3 BA, and 6 of the BO X RIR.
67636_four.jpg

Lets see what happens..

Last edited:
Thanks for the test. I just wish you had the 1588 ( ?) . It has electronic thermostat that comes pre set. My turner came assembled and I just dropped it in the bator. I have both but if I were to buy again it would not be the brinsea. Quail eggs are a pain in the a** in the brinsea. They varied in size enough that it makes setting the rails in the octo hard, and heaven forbid you don't have a full line. I've tried stuffing the remainder with paper towels but its a mess.

Last edited:
Well... Just an update... The eggs have been in over an hour and a half.. The Brinsea was at temp within 5 minutes (yes I know it will take longer for the internal temp of the eggs to get to temp) and the Hova got there at about 35 minutes... The Brinsea is set to 99.5 Degrees F since it is a forced air unit, and the Hova is set to 101.0 Degrees F being a thermal air unit.

Back
Top Bottom