Partially unhatched chicken - What do do???

imari2542

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 11, 2011
This is the 1st time for my husband and I incubating chicken eggs. We are well into the 22nd day. In trying to save the chicken, we had removed part of the shell. We now have a chicken enclosed in it's placenta. In the process of trying to remove the shell we realized the placenta must still be functioning? and causing the chicken to bleed to we stopped.

We could see the beak of the chicken trying to poke out and breath so my husband opened a small hole - no bleeding happened when he did that. The chick is eagerly taking water from a wet napkin and chirping.

What should we do next? Thanks..

If the membrane is still bleeding. Stop! Leave the chick for a few hours. A chick that hatches can live for 72 hours without food or water. Give the membrane time to dry up. Try not to interfere. The problem with opening up the incubator is you can shrink wrap the chick. It very well may need your help. But until the blood vessels in the membrane dry up, you will only be hurting it. I had to help a chick 2 days ago. The membrane was bleeding. I left it in the bator for 13 hours without doing any more. The vessels dried up, and I could then help the chick out.

Agreed with mugs. At this point it is a very S L O W process. Give it some time, wet the membrane a little, more time, maybe help a little more. It will take hours, but you can do it! Keep us updated.....

Thanks for the helpful answers. We have just been leaving him alone since I read the 1st reply.

Is there anyway to post a pic I took a few minutes ago. The chick's beak is out and it is moving around. This one's a fighter with a strong will to live.

Quote:
Go to Upload at the top of the page.

Click on "browse" to find the pic you want to upload...from your computer files or card.

Submit the one you want to use.

Copy the IMG link when it has finished uploading.

Paste it on your post. Click preview and you should be able to see it.

I can't post it. I get the following message:

We have been having a big problem with spam and have had to temporarily limit what brand new members can post. To continue, please reduce the number or URL's or images in your post to 0

i had to help out a couple chicks with my last hatch. the ones i helped, i could still see the red blood vessels in the membrane after i removed the top half of the shell.....it didn't bleed though. i wrapped the rest of the egg and the chick in a wet paper towel or a wet (not dripping, but pretty wet) wash cloth. when i used the wash cloth on one, i cut a tiny hole in it, just enough for the beak to be exposed. i left the chick for a LONG time, figuring it will come out when ready....it did.....so did the other chick i helped. one is a runt, and is noticeably smaller than his hatch mates but is doing great now. the other had a day of laying on his side for awhile, but i fed him water every hour or so (with vitamins in it) and he's doing great now too....they're all running around the brooder playing chick games....they're so cute!!!

Quote:
Hmmm...this is after you tried to upload just one picture?

For those of us that have been where you are...no picture is needed. Truly. If your chick is shrink wrapped, but can breath with its beak out...you are okay for a good while. Rushing it at this stage won't help it. The 3 main veins (attached to its belly) may still be active, so even if you got him/her out, it could bleed to death...and it may still need to absorb the yolk. When did it first pip? Did it zip around the egg before you helped it? Give it several hours. Sometimes a chick won't hatch for 24-36 hours after it pips. My opinion would be to leave it in there until sometime tonight.

This will be a learning experience for you. Some you can help, some you can't.
hugs.gif
Be patient with it. Hatching is still nerve wracking for me after hatching hundreds of chicks now.

Quote:
This is true .. brand new members can't post pics or urls thanks to spammers.. you should be able to post pics before long.

And as previously stated, we really don't need pics, because most of us have been there.

You've been given good advice ..
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom