how high should the run fence be?

rhpues

Songster
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
Timmonsville sc
I will be starting my run next week. Is 6ft high enough for the run? Can a chicken fly over that? I plan on using chicken wire dog pens connected to make an 8x 16 run.

Thanks in advance

Make it taller than you are so you can stand up in it. LOL! Mine is just under 5 ft tall and I'm 5'2", DH Is 6ft. Not too comfy for us.
If you can enclose the top, that would be my recommendation. That will ensure they don't fly out. If you choose not to enclose it, I'd clip their wings. Some folks on this board have said that their chickens can make it over a 6ft fence with no problems.

I purchased some used 4' horse fence 2x4 squares real heavy stuff on craigslist $100 for 330' roll. So I stacked it and made a 8' fence. Now my concern is the top because there aren't many trees around here but many hawks in the area.

We followed what a couple of others have posted here regarding the top of the run; added PVC pipe a bit longer than the width of the run to bow it out. Gave the top an airy feel. Our dog kennel run was already six feet high but if someone had a kennel that was only, say five feet high doing a bowed roof would give you extra room, especially when you're talking about an 8 by 16 foot run.

84140_img_0847.jpg

My question too! I need some sort of 'roof' and would like to really strap the tarp down (makes awful racket on windy days)--pvc idea looks great!

Neither of our runs are very high. One is 4 feet and one is 3 feet. BUT, we hardly ever need to go into them, so height is not an issue. If we do we just crouch down. We hace various implements to reach in and grab anything we need too remove.

The PVC poles were attached to the top rail of the kennel with these:

84140_img_0850.jpg

You find them in the chain link fencing section at the local Lowes/Home Depot, etc. (where ever chain link fencing parts are sold). Each one runs under $1.50. Make sure the bolts that come with them are long enough to fit the nut that also comes with. Ours weren't so we purchased 2 inch long carriage bolts.

Gail

I LOVE this idea and we are going to swipe it from you
wink.png
How much longer were the PVP pipes versus the width of the run, please?

Back
Top Bottom