Duck Houses

Pics

dixygirl

Songster
11 Years
May 14, 2008
I see so many chicken coops here but no pictures of duck housing.

Please post pictures of your ducks in their housing. I need some ideas please.
pop.gif

Dog houses work well.
I have a few plastic dog houses and big barrels laying on their sides. The ducks rarely go in to either the coop or their houses even in the dead of winter. Mostly it's the broody ducks that use the housing. They can choose once secured in the pen at night.

One of my pens I tarp a side corner and the top and the ducks generally prefer to stay there. In the warm months they sleep just about anyplace in the pen.

Well mine all have pens in the barn, but I hope that they won't stay in there after babyhood except during breeding season. I'm weaning my first bunch off the barn right now - they still sleep inside - in fact they put themselves to bed last night! Just walked in the barn and went in their pens!

Anyway -here are some pics.

graduates1.jpg

newpenbyhay.jpg

pens1.jpg

allpens.jpg

Here is my house. I will add a 3rd side for the winter, and a board across the bottom to hold in a deeper layer of straw. It doesn't usually get below 25 degrees in the winter, I can always pile some straw bales across the front and just leave a little door if needed.
I wanted it to be light and portable to move around with the electric net fencing.

IMG_4020.jpg

OH WOW! You have electric netting. I have been thinking about that mysef

Do you have any preditors around there? How do the ducks fair if you do? I also notice there is no netting across the top to protect from hawks and things. Have you ever had any problems in with that in your area? Is that the green clear corrugated roofing on their run in? I like that.

I really like your set up a lot. I think something similar will suit me. I may just have to put a top net over mine because there are a lot of hawks and things around here.

I love the ideas.
Thanks a lot!

I have Red Tail Hawks, so am only letting the babies out when I am home and the dogs are out. Have never had a chicken taken free-ranging when I have been home. We also have fox, coyote, skunk. I saw/heard a Great Horned owl a few years ago, but nothing since. So far so good. My hope is that once the geese are bigger they will protect the ducks. Oh look hawks and owls, a giant white goose! Nothing to eat here....

Last edited:
My ducks would never get in a house. Even when it was freezing and raining they wouldn't get in it. They stay under our deck at night and we have a gate that we close. Our deck has gaps so I have a huge rubber backed rug over where they stay to keep them some dry.
They are almost a year old and now that it's gotten warm, they put up a fuss when we say nite nite....the know that means go under the deck:) I have an electric fence around the outside of the pickett fence and half tempted to just let them stay out.

Back
Top Bottom