Lice?

RockyToggRanch

Songster
11 Years
May 22, 2008
Upstate NY
I have the weird hen that acts like she's spaced out sometimes. I was looking at her eyes very closely to see if anything looked weird, but I saw tiny white bugs on her face.
I don't see them on the others. She is the Orpington and my brahma hen picks at her face occaisionally (not hard and no boo boos) then the orp hides her head under the brahma.
If this is lice, what do I use that is organic? They have plenty of sand to dust in, although it's been wet this year. Should I put a litter box of fine sand or something inside? I love to hold her. She's my favorite. But now it gives me the willies. I bet you're itchy just reading this...
My kids never got lice (thank God) so I'm lost. I was told that they do not effect humans. Is this true?

I don't think chicken lice and people lice are the same, so I don't think your kids can get it from them. As far as getting rid of them you can sprinkle the girls with diatomaceous earth(concentrating on the vent and under the wings) and that will take care of the little buggers. Also helpful to sprinkle some in the nest boxes.

Okay, well my girls aren't laying yet, so the nest box should be okay? Is daiatom safe for the babies sharing the coop as well? Do I need to dust every one of them or will they volunteer and self serve?
Is diatom organic?

So today I went to the feed store and asked for the diatomaceaus earth and told them what I needed it for. They showed me tree different items, two of which had pesticides in them. Finally the third was pool filter stuff and said "pure" on it. That's the one I bought. Now, what do I do with it? Sprinlke directly on them? Fill a litter pan with it? Both? How do I get it on them and not in their eyes?

Last edited:
Above post crucial - do not use the pool DE. Food grade ONLY. Idiots at feed stores do not seem to be in short supply - geez louise. It's a shame that people simply cannot rely on the information they receive at these places.

Another poster above was also correct in noting that people lice and chicken lice are different bugs. No worries about transmission.

But I would worry about treating the chicken lice quickly as these bugs can take them down for the count.
JJ

Oh thank God for you all! If I can't find food grade quickly, would the chicken dust with the chemical be safer than waiting? I really want to be as organic as possible. My hens are not yet laying, they should start any day though and my babies are about 12 weeks old. I've only spotted the bugs on my one weird hen so far, but she's the one I get closest to. Thanks again! I want to cry thinking I almost did something to harm them.
I'm asking you all first before I do anything!

Thank you,
Cindy

I dont know how to treat the lice once you have them? hopefully someone will tell you how to do that.
try doing a search for it. hope you find help. I would check the other chickens and see how bad it is so you have all the info you need to asked for help.
good luck

I googled chicken lice and now think it may be something else. Everything I read said they were straw colored or brown. These were tiny, pure white, quick moving and not shaped the pictures of lice. More like.. maybe white flies that plants get? hmmm.... back to google

Quote:
I have a 5lb bag of diatomaceous earth form Perma - Guard I ordered from My Pet Chicken it is certified organic by OMRI (Organic Materials Review Institute) if you PM me your address, I'll send you some. I feel bad I should have posted the information about "food grade" sorry. I had the same experience at my local feed store. You would think they would know.

Back
Top Bottom