Scratch

Hi there, scratch is just for treats & not good to give at all during the heat. It's good on cold days.
Since your babies are so young, why not get them some mealworms or crickets?? Crushed up boiled egg is good for them too.
Make sure if you give them anything other than their chic starter, they will need grit. You can buy it at a feed store or playsand will do to.
Miriam

I had a lady who raised chickens all her life tell me no eggs. She said in some birds it can encourage them to eat their own eggs. I am not saying it is true but i decided to not chance it. I just thought i would share that.

Hi raisingkane, scratch is a hot food, it has alot of corn in it so not good in summer heat.
smile.png
Scratch is good in winter to help keep chickens warm.
Miriam

Hot food? Does this mean I should keep my brand new 50# bag of cracked corn closed until winter?! They seem to dig it sooooo much.

Are all whole grains 'hot'? Holy cow, what a drag. So summer treats are limited to yoghurt, lettuce, fruit, etc.?

You can use scratch during the summer. Just don't use it in the morning or during the heat of the day if it is extremely warm. The corn while being digested will increase the chickens body temperature. I try to limit its use to evenings...its my trick to help get the girls back in the coop.
Also, if you live in very hot regions and are concerned, just get some whole oats from the feed store and use it as scratch.

Corn will build heat in a bird's system, that's why it is good for them when it's cold in the winter. But given in summer heat could cause them to have a heat stroke. Considering everything that a chicken can eat, to take away one thing that's potentially harmful seems like a small thing. If you want happy birds, plant them a cherry tomato vine!
gig.gif

Quote:
I could see if you were taking fresh uncooked eggs from their coop and immediately feeding them to your chickens, they might start breaking and eating their own eggs, but hard boiled eggs all mashed up in a bowl...chickens are smart, but I doubt they'd see the connection....No egg breakers in my flock anyway...

Back
Top Bottom