Help with Nesting Box and Chicken dropping eggs on floor

angelnina

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 13, 2008
Seattle area
My three gals just started laying yesterday.
One from the roost (broken on ground), the other on a paver in the yard, and the next one actually went to the nest!

Second day, one on coop floor--broken open, the next in the pen on the ground, and the third in the nest again.

So far, 6 eggs, and two broken.

What can I do to get the girls interested in the nest?

Do fake eggs really make a difference? Should I get another nest for three laying pullets...soon to be 5 laying. What measurments and materials do you recommend?

ethel-1-1.jpg

I used golf balls in my nest boxes, and so far, other than a couple that ended up under the roost from being laid at night, they have all been in the boxes. The boxes I created out of an old entertainment cabinet ended up about 14" x 16".

I have a milk crate nest on the floor of my coop with a golf ball in it. So far, all eggs have been laid in it, even when the girl (only have one laying right now) was out free-ranging. She came back to the coop just to get in the nest box and lay. I think for some chickens, it just takes them a while to figure it out.

Quote:
When miy ladies got to the age they should be laying I tried fake eggs but they seemed to be playing soccer with them so I removed them. I've had them lay in the boxes, on the coop floor at times and sometimes in the pen. for the most part they lay them in the nesting boxes. But chickens will be chickens and eventually they all gt the idea. Hang in there and watch where you step in the coop
smile.png
) 2 nesting boxes should be enough for 3 birds. that way they have a choice, I have 5 for 11 birds.

Famrer Mack
cool.png
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Rte.66_chicks :

I used golf balls in my nest boxes, and so far, other than a couple that ended up under the roost from being laid at night, they have all been in the boxes. The boxes I created out of an old entertainment cabinet ended up about 14" x 16".

Quote:
I agree, I put golf balls in my nest boxes and they push the balls under them with the other eggs. I have 1 ball in each nest box.​

On the golf balls - when do you put them in? Do you wait until they are laying? I have 3 WL pullets, about 18 weeks old. One of them has recently developed wattles and her comb is now red. I know the girls are checking out the nests because I find the shavings scattered. So do I put them (the golf balls) in now or wait until I get an egg?

Your Baby is Identical to mine, did yu get her from Tim Welsh off craigs list.

13827_hen_in_nest_box.jpg

13827_avatar.jpg

I got 3 from him but only one is laying so far.

Love those girls.

Entrance to nest box is 14in high x 14in wide x 12 inches deep

4 inches across front to hold nesting material.

a perch in front of the nests. so they can look inside before entering

There is a book called your chickens a kids guide to raising and showing, great information and nest box dimensions plans etc.

Last edited:
Quote:
I put in my nest box complete with golf ball when one of my birds started squatting and her comb/wattles were getting bigger. She laid in the box about 1.5-2wks later.

Back
Top Bottom