Our animals are acting very strange....Help?

petitesphinx

Songster
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Alabama
Is anyone else's animals acting weird?? And what part of the US are you?

For the past week, I've mentioned to my husband that our animals seemed to of gone mad. We're in a farm and have LOTS of animals! We're also in the southern US in Alabama; the weather has dipped and is chilly now.

Our chickens pecked at me today for the first time ever and pecked our very large rooster to death. They have NEVER pecked at me, once I entered the coop-they swarmed me! They act like they're crazy or starved and they have plenty of food, water, shelter. They've been wormed and put antiboitic in their water just in case they were sick.

Our cats are acting very strange; trying to run into our house (they're outside BARN cats) and hanging around the porch all day/all night. Chatting, meowing, following us around.

Our dogs (5 months old) are chasing the animals and they know better. Our Mastiff, just tried to eat the THIRD duck this morning, after killing one last week and injuring another the previous week. Or it's the neighbor's dog who will NOT stay off our property. (I have this little duck in our bathtub trying to keep it alive.) The dogs are all put on long leases until we find out what is killing the ducks. Our sweet Great Pyerense who's only 5 months old and raised with the chickens started chasing them yesterday---he has never done that or shown an interest in chasing them. AGGGGRRR. I do not know WHAT is going on!

Our goats and sheep are following us around constantly, bahhhhing and acting like they're starving; again-plenty of food AND grass for them to eat. When I drop food-they fight and act like they haven't eaten in weeks! And now our goats and sheep are fighting and our sheep are peaceful animals?! They have been wormed as well.

WHAT is happening around here??

Anyone else having animals going bizerk???

Sounds like everybody's feeling spunky due to the cooler weather. I personally just want to stay wrapped up in a blanket on the couch! At midday it's only 65 and I'm in FL!

Well, if you were in CA, I'd predict an earthquake was coming, but since you are not, who knows?! Full moon? Maybe the change in the seasons has all critters feeling a bit stressed? I hope all returns to normal for you soon!

Mine all have the fall crazies here. The hens were moulting and hated the rooster, all were skittish and being more weird. Then they got most of their feathers back and now the rooster is a nut case, as he is molting and doesn't want to be any where near the girls.

The horses are running and act like they haven't been out of the barn in days, when I let them out in the morning.

Parrots are on high screech too.

I think they all know winter is coming and are having their last party before they are cooped up more.

I have seen a definate change in behavior here too. I'm in Ohio and we had our first hard frost two nights ago.
My tom turkey killed an americauna hen that he was raised with yesterday. He had her by the top of her head and was twisting her neck when I spotted them. By the time I got to her she was dead.
He also bred my turkey hen for the first time yesterday, so I think that he might have been trying to breed the chicken and was too rough with her.
My blind mini horse was running across the pasture kicking and celebrating something. He is around 30 years old and completly blind. To see him running was unusual.
My cats are all parked at the backdoor acting like they are starving and trying to get into the house. They just can't seem to get enough to eat, even though they are wormed regularly.
My goats are in heat and acting silly.
I attribute it to the change of season and breeding. But animals are much more tuned into changes in the earth than we are. They may know something we don't.

Normally, it is a natural weather/disaster type thing. These sense things far before the scientific equipment does. Our animals always went nutso before bad storms and hurricanes...my friends animals went nuts back in 2001 before the earthquake that shook Olmpia, WA. and my grandmother in laws animals went nuts before a twister tore through their town a couple of fears ago.

Things here in oregon are okay.....no weird behavior here.

Quote:
edited to say, im in South Western Pennsylvania, my animals are acting fine...though had a raccoon kill a roo (caught the raccoon), and a bear eating out of our trash last night (but that's chalked up to getting ready for winter...). My dogs only go outside with me on my watch, my cats are altered and are indoors (no odd behaviour), and my quail are always piggies
smile.png

Last edited:
I live in North Ga and my animals were being very loud recently, can't remember when. The coyotes have been loud also. We do live on a rather large fault line (for around here) and we have the very occasional earthquake and more frequent tremors than most people around here realize.

Just like to say it's not a good idea to put antibiotics in the water "just in case" somethings wrong. Using antibiotics when they aren't needed leads to them not working when you do need them.

Back
Top Bottom