Anyone house Pheasants and chickens together...??

SamG347

Songster
12 Years
Mar 4, 2007
PA
And before anyone starts yes I know that it is not "reccomended" but I know many people that have done it succesfully. I've be contimplating having a couple ringnecks in with my chickens. Consider the amount of coop space I have now that I only have 6 chickens and also the amount of RUN space.
Please post pics of your birds if you do have them housed together.
big_smile.png

My experience was that after I hatched them together, in the brooder, the phesants picked at the chicks like crazy! They were all over them, far more active than the chicks. So, I guess as babies, I would split them in the future.
Not sure how they do as adults. Good luck!
Christina

Yah it's just an idea....not sure if I'm going to. Might just have to make an area for pheasants if I decide to get some.
tongue.png

Since i seen your place...if you can i'd separate them at first, and intergrate them slowly and see how it goes. could be possible.
smile.png
Or integrate them at first but possibly be prepaired to separate them? I think you have more than enough room to do it that there shouldnt be too many problems...but then again I know nothing really about the pheasant temperment
smile.png

When I was a kid, We put a couple of pheasant hens and a pheasant rooster in our coop with our chickens one winter.

All of the pheasants died.

Just my experience.

My grandfather raised several varieties of pheasants a few years back. They had a large aviary and were very skittish and flighty. Just from the way they acted alone, I wouldn't put them with chickens.

Your call though. Good luck
smile.png

Momma Has placed chickens in with my ringnecks because the were new and they got picked on by her other chickens, then she tossed them out when, my hatch was bigger and they went in with the ringnecks, Right now the the Ringnecks only has on escape artist with them and the The Red & Yellow Goden has a rooster and 3 hens in with them because they can't escape because it is enclosed. If they would not escape they would be in our big pen that is open topped with the rest of the chickens. She wants to cull the roo and clip the hens but clipping does not always work!! The Pheasants are mine the chickens are hers, I wished they were not in there!! But I can't fuse because I can't get down there to help feed, and chase them back in the pens right Now!

GPN

Back
Top Bottom