TRADE - Crazy Garden Seed Train - herbs, vegetables, flowers

spookyevilone

Crazy Quail Lady
14 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Minneapolis
A discussion offline sparked this. I collect seeds from my garden every year, and have a bunch of heirloom and other seeds. Since I'll be gathering more this year, I thought I'd spread last year's around - and figured there's probably other people on here who'd like to play.

Rules:

1.) Person A offers a packet of seeds. Packet can contain any number, but please try to send at least 6. Person B likes what is offered and says "I'll take those and in turn offer..." Person C likes those and offers another packet of seeds.

2.) To qualify for accepting an offer, you need to post what you are offering in return in the same post.

3.) When each trade is posted, please pm or email the person who offered the seeds and work out the shipping arrangements.

4.) The person receiving the seeds will pay no shipping because the person who sends them will have received their seeds without paying shipping as well. Shipping should be less on these than on the egg swaps, because the weight and packaging is so much less. This will keep the thread moving along without a lot of complications.

5.) Try to be as specific as possible about the seeds. If you know the zones where they grow, list 'em. If you know for a fact the seeds grew in your garden last year, list where you are
smile.png

6) Seeds do not need to be heritage/heirloom/home-grown. If you have extra seeds from a seed order, go ahead and offer 'em.

(thanks to Shelleyd2008, since I stole her wording for the rules from the Crazy Quail / Gamebird Swap )

Happy trading!
-Spooky

Last edited:
And to start it off:

Offer: White, red, pink Ukranian Zinnias - at least 50 seeds. Plants get about 3' high and have grapefruit-sized blossoms. Seeds were brought over by my landlord, from the Ukraine and grown at the house I'm renting.

-OR-

Large Mennonite heritage tomatoes - 10 seeds - fruit get anywhere between grapefruit size to acorn squash size. Very, VERY large, meaty fruit great sliced, canned, sauced, or dehydrated into chips.

Both plants thrive well in MN. Tomatoes won best of show at the County Fair last year.

-Spooky

Very, very cool. Do they have to be heirloom varieties? I ordered a bunch of seeds yesterday from a few different companies and I know for a fact I'll have more than I need. (They are big, commercial seed dealers that my father buys from) Could I offer those to swap? Or do the seeds have to be from a previous garden of mine?

Awesome. The seeds that I have will be fine, they're coming from my mother's plants, and she sometimes leaves them out over winter by accident (she's crazy, lol) and they still grow in the spring, so I can't imagine that it would hurt the seeds if the plants survive.
Is there a limit to how many times we can take an offer or offer a certain type?

I'll take your tomatoes.
smile.png

I'll offer 10 ornamental pepper seeds. I'm not 100% sure of the exact breed/line/whatever (I'm not on the up and up on gardening lingo, lol), but they're the ones that only get 1" in length, and start green, go to purple, then orange and finally red. They are potted plants, my mother has had her's for a few years now, and they're only about 1.5 ft tall. They are edible, but only if you've got an iron stomach. I'm a fiend for hot stuff, and I won't even touch them, lol. But, just as an ornamental plant, they're gorgeous.

-OR-

150 catnip seeds. They were "wild collected". Basic herb, everyone should know about them. Grow just about anywhere, great for teasing cats, can also be used as a -mild- sedative for humans (personally, I think it's the bad taste of the tea that does it, lol).

Quote:
Not yet
wink.png
If I see people abusing it, I'll step on 'em. I think people will be pretty reasonable. As long as every other post isn't the same thing, I think we'll be fine.
-Spooky

This is going to be soooo much fun. I've collected all my herb seeds and annual flowers but you know how it is when you have hundreds of seeds... I don't really want a hundred basil plants
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom