My new flock

olinr

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
Phelan, CA
OK, I give up. I must post pictures of my new chicks.

18618_chicks1.jpg

This is after I placed them in their new home (a plastic wading pool).
Thanks for the hint to use a pool. This helped keep things clean for the first few days. I have had to open up the area (in my coop) as they were trying to test their wings.

18618_chicks3.jpg

A closer view of my new chicks.

Are they all RIR? (As ordered)

I'll post more as they grow.

Dick.
Phelan, CA

Hi All,

I took some pictures today to show you the progress of my chicks. They are 16 days old:

18618_grit_bin.jpg

The chicks are getting feathers. This shows to different colors and a grit bin or hopper I built.
The feeder on the left is from Target as a cat feeder. I liked it since the chicks could scratch.
I placed marbles in it to add interest to the chicks.

18618_chick_16days1.jpg

A RIR Chick at 16 days.

18618_chick_16days2.jpg

Several Chicks; unknown breed. Any thoughts?

I installed a wireless camera and temperature sensor. These will be discussed in the construction section.

Dick.
Phelan, CA

We know what you mean. Donna and I are addicted to the cuteness of our chicks.
smile.png
Yours look like they are doing marvelous. The unknown little one looks like one of ours we suspect is a buff orp. Don't they grow so quick?

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you!

It does solve my inquiry. My chicks seem to have a light yellow color to their legs. It will be fun to watch them grow; we can do that! They are so inquisitive.

I love my new flock since I managed a Leghorn ranch in my youth. They were too flighty; these are not. I think I have inhaled more chicken dust to last me beyond a lifetime.

Dick.
Phelan, CA

Hi All,

My chicks have survived four weeks.

18618_4wks01.jpg

Resting under the heat lamp.

18618_4wks02.jpg

Gathering inside the open box at the roost.

Some of the chicks have been showing me how they can fly up onto the roost. I have four levels and they use them all.

They grow so fast and feathered out quickly. I am working on the pen so they can see the world.

Dick.
Phelan, CA

Back
Top Bottom