What are the Laws in Tampa Fl. for keeping chickens.

rstampa

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Tampa, Florida
Does anyone know what the law is for raising chickens in Tampa, Fl?
The ordinances and local laws are overwhelming, to say the lease.
Thanks for any help you can give. I've google till my fingers cramped and got nothing for Tampa.
Bob:D

Thanks for the info. I found the ordinance in Tampa and I'm well withing the legal limits.

Sec. 19-76. Farm animals.
(a) It is unlawful for any person to keep, harbor or maintain any farm animal, except

under the following conditions:
(1) Animals must be kept within an enclosed area which is a minimum of two hundred

(200) feet from any dwelling on an adjoining parcel of land in separate ownership.
(2) Land requirements per animal shall be as follows:
a. Horses, cattle or swine: One (1) acre for each animal;
b. Sheep or goats: One-half ( 1/2) acre for each animal;
c. Fowl: Five thousand (5,000) square feet of land for each five (5) fowl or fraction
thereof;

d. Bees: Ten thousand (10,000) square feet per hive.
Above land requirements are the gross area of premises harboring such animals and

include areas used by the resident for residential or other purposes, in addition to the

keeping of animals.
(b) The police department is exempted from the provisions of this section and is

specifically authorized and empowered to keep, harbor and maintain horses within the

corporate limits of the city.
(Ord. No. 89-269, § 2(48-48), 10-12-89; Ord. No. 90-93, § 6, 4-5-90; Ord. No. 90

-124, § 2(48-49), 5-17-90)

Last edited:
Hi Bob, wondering if you can help me find someone to retrieve and find a home for a Red Jungle Fowl that lives in our corporate-park parking lot? He had 2 friends that they took away on Tuesday and I can't get an answer as to where they went. They should not have been separated and it's breaking my heart this week. Please email me. Thank you.

Help me change the law in Tampa, FL

As of now, it is only legal to have chickens if you can house them 200 feet from any dwelling on an adjoining parcel of land in separate ownership. This makes it illegal for most people in Tampa to have chickens because the lots are too close together.

I would like to suggest a revisiting of the existing ordinance for keeping fowl in Tampa so that it can be modified to include a more reasonable buffer for Tampa (perhaps 20 or 50 feet from dwellings on adjacent property) for legally housing backyard chickens in the City of Tampa.

Is anyone interested in joining my effort?

We have a facebook group that you can join too: Change Tampa Chicken Law

Last edited:
Quote:
We can have up to five hens (no roosters) here in the city of Tampa. That 200 feet requirement is the killer. An average city lot in my neighborhood is only 50 x 100 feet, so I've been carefully staying "under the radar" with my four hens, with the cooperation of my close neighbors who are chicken-friendly and love getting free eggs. I'd join a group effort to change the law if I wasn't so afraid of drawing the attention of code enforcement folks in the meantime. My girls are more pets than anything else now, and I can't abide the thought of possibly losing them.
sad.png

Here is my problem...

I live in Ybor/Tampa

I have a neighbor who has roosters and hens

He built his coop next to my ******* window... He has like 5 roosters now and the coops are practically 10 feet from my window, I haven't been able to sleep for the past several days and I am considering killing all of his roosters. I would like to emphasize that I LOVE ANIMALS. If I could just do away with the tenant I would do that.

I have called the city, they have not reacted. Talking to him is useless. This issue of owning roosters is absolutely unnecessary and I am losing my mind. I am normally a calm person but this is so stupid and I don't know what to do.

The man doesn't even have 1,000 sq foot of yard
He has in excess of 5 hens
Roosters are bottom line not allowed
This isn't a ******* farm and we have grocery stores...

Back
Top Bottom