This is a fabulous recipe.

10 Egg Pound Cake
3 cups sugar
2 cups Crisco shortening
10 eggs
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup Pet milk (edited to add: Pet is a brand name of evaporated or condensed milk. Dont use "sweetened condensed" milk)
1 tsp rum flavoring
1/2 tsp almond flavoring (optional)

Cream Crisco and sugar together well, then add eggs, beating very well after each. Add salt, flavorings and milk, then flour. Bake in an extra large tube pan that has been floured and greased. Bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours. Check after 1 hour and 45 minutes. Cake is done if knife inserted in center comes out clean.

BYC member (and friend) FarmWoman contributed this as an old family recipe from her grandmother.

FarmWoman if you see this, give a Howdy!

Last edited:
My grandmother makes this!!!!!!!!!! This is a DELISH cake - with fresh fruit on top makes it heaven
big_smile.png

Thank you for sharing Terri. It is far to warm to bake today but I am going to try and get this in the oven bright and early tomorrow morning. Sounds wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dh will go nuts over this one, actually who wouldn't?! Thanks for the great recipe, this is going to be a great way to use up eggs when the girls start laying!

You know, all these great recipes on here, I've gotta watch myself that I don't gain another 10 lbs!! lol
tongue.png

I use a 10 egg recipe too, it is a little simpler but FABULOUS!!!

The first step to a great cake is have ALL INGREDIENTS at room temp through and through.

And don't rush the creaming of the butter and sugar.
big_smile.png

OLD FASHION POUND CAKE

3 c. sugar
1 lb. butter, softened
10 eggs
4 c. plain flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well. Measure and sift flour, baking powder and dash of salt. Add flour to mixture in several parts. Stop mixer, add about 1/3 of the flour, start mixer back slowly, then mix fast JUST UNTIL MIXED. Repeat until dry ingredients are all incorporated. Scrape down sides after each mixing. Put in 10 inch tube pan that has been greased and floured. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Cool in pan for a few minutes before removing.

This makes a FABULOUS chocolate pound cake. Add 1/4 cup milk after the butter and eggs are creamed, and 1/4 cup of good cocoa, mix it in with the flour.

For a FABULOUS lemony experience, add 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice just before adding in dry ingredients. When all mixed, fold in by hand 1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped lemon zest.

Glaze with lemon glaze. I like to glaze a warm cake.

Glaze:
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
Lemon zest to taste (I like a LOT)
1/2 to one cup powdered sugar, depending on how thick you want the glaze.

You can also make a glaze for the chocolate cake by using milk or cream instead of lemon juice with the powdered sugar.

big_smile.png

YIPPIE!
yippiechickie.gif
Just what i was looking for!
I am printing out both and making cakes tomorrow!
I'll have to make at least one of each recipe though, only fair.
lol.png

Thank you all for posting them! This is a fabulous site with fabulous people!
love.gif

Quote:
So are you saying Pet milk is evaporated milk? I haven't seen it but maybe being in Canada we don't have that brand.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom