Italian Cream Cake

siroiszoo

Songster
14 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Waller, TX
In response to several requests, here it is - the recipes:

I play around with several recipes. Most Italian Cream Cake recipes are the same. I prefer using shortening over oil; just gives a better texture & taste. I never made them for weddings; just for family desserts
big_smile.png

These are the ones I use:

Smoky Mountain Retreat: Italian Cream Cake with
Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients for cake:
1 stick (1/2 cup) softened margarine
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
5 egg yolks
5 egg whites
1 can Angel flake coconut
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts
Cream Cheese Frosting:
One 8-ounce package softened cream cheese
1 stick (1/2 cup) margarine, softened
1 box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
chopped nuts
coconut

For cake: Cream margarine and shortening. Add sugar. Beat until mixture is smooth. Add egg yolks and beat well. Sift together baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in vanilla, coconut and nuts. Fold in beaten egg whites. Pour in three 8-inch pans or two 9-inch pans and bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let cool and frost.

For frosting: Mix together above ingredients. Save some coconut and nuts for top and sides. Use coconut and nuts as desired in frosting.

Spahn House
Bed and Breakfast: Italian Cream Cake

This is the mixture we use for our wedding cakes.

Ingredients - Cake
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
5 eggs, separated
2 cups of sugar
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans
One 4-ounce can of Angel Flake coconut
Ingredients - Frosting
2 sticks butter, room temperature (1 cup)
Two 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 pounds confectioners sugar
About 2 cups finely chopped pecans

Cake: Combine baking soda and buttermilk and let stand a few minutes. Beat egg whites until stiff. Cream sugar, butter, and shortening. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add buttermilk alternately with flour to creamed mixture. Stir in vanilla, fold in egg whites. Gently stir in pecans and coconut. Pour into three 9-inch greased and floured layer pans. Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes or until cake tests done; watch closely! Frost when cake is cool to touch.

Frosting: Cream together butter and cream cheese. Add vanilla. Gradually add confectioners sugar. Beat until well blended, then add pecans.

Mountain Home Lodge
Leavenworth, Washington
Heritage Recipe
Italian Cream Cake

This is a real show stopper for a wedding cake or special evening presentation. The unusual ingredients of buttermilk and coconut "marry" to make an unbelievably moist cake. You do not taste their separate flavors, but rather marvel at a great cake!

Ingredients
3/4 pound butter 3 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/2 cups canola oil 6 cups pastry flour
6 cups sugar 3 teaspoons vanilla
15 eggs, separated 3 cups shredded coconut
3 cups buttermilk 1-1/2 cup pecans, roasted and chopped

Cream butter, oil, and sugar until fluffy. Add yolks in 3 parts, beating after each addition. Stir baking soda into buttermilk that is in a container at least 4 times its volume. Set aside.

Add sifted flour into batter, alternating with buttermilk. Add vanilla, coconut, and nuts. Dust the nuts with flour before adding so they do not settle at the bottom.

Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Pour into prepared pans that have been greased and lined with parchment. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes.

Cool and frost with your favorite cream cheese frosting. You can flavor the frosting with coffee if desired. Do not keep this cake out of refrigeration for more than 2 hours.

Makes: One 3-tier, double layer 6-8-10-inch wedding cake.

Ohhhhooo....you are an evil person for posting these recipes!
tongue.png
Thank you so much, I will be my family's hero now for these cakes. I can't wait to try them, my father is going to be my first victim!
lol.png

Usually most Italian Cream Cakes are the same basic ingredients.

My family loves Italian Cream Cakes, I use the recipe from the Blue Willow Inn.

If you ever buy a cook book it is the one to get, The Blue Willow Inn's Bible of Southern Cooking, by Louis and Billie VanDyke from Social Circle, Georgia. My most favorite and most used cookbook, if the house was burnin' down this would be the only cookbook I would grab. The Beef Stroganoff is de-lish!! Many, Many wonderful southern recipes.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom