Made my first homemade incubator - need advise!

SpeckledPullet

Songster
9 Years
10 Years
Jan 24, 2010
Northeast Florida
I found an ad for a local breeder that has BLRW eggs. I'm going to pick some up, so I needed an incubator. The pictures below show the finished result. I made a slip hole in the side with plastic strips to help hold in heat and a plastic flap on the back. My idea was to be able to reach my hand in and turn the eggs, without letting out much heat. The temp seems to be staying constant even when I do reach my hand in. Anyhow, I am pleased with it so far, but cannot seem to get the humidity low enough. I'm in Florida, so it's very humid here. My house seems to stay around 45-50% humidity and the incubator won't go under 63%. Is there anything I can do to lower it? There is NO water in it at the moment. Am I just stuck having to get a dehumidifier?

Oh, wanted to add: I have a floating thermometer on the glass pane and a digital thermometer and digital hygrometer at floor level.

47689_incubator1.jpg

47689_incubator2.jpg

47689_incubator3.jpg

47689_incubator4.jpg

47689_incubator5.jpg

47689_incubator6.jpg

Last edited:
If that is a fish tank floater, throw it away. They can be as much as 8 degrees off. If you think you need 2 thremometers, get 2 digital ones.
Yup, a dehumidifier it is. Sorry I couldn't give you any good news. BUT I WILL WISH YOU GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR HATCH.

Dovecanyon - the turning flap works great! I have had NO change in temp when I use it. I have used it 10 or 15 times just today (testing and changing things inside) and the temp stays steady. When I open the entire top, the temp drops several degrees. So, I am very glad I did the turning flap. I also like how you named it a "turning flap" and will keep calling it that from here on out, lol.

Panner - thanks for the heads up! I will keep a close eye on it. For now, it is reading the same as the digital thermometer. Maybe I got lucky and this one actually works, lol.

Chicken People - I think it is similar to a Sterlite. This is actually a plastic drawer that came from SmartPak for horse medicines. However, I have seen Walmart sell similar containers. It's a hard plastic shell with a clear plastic drawer inside of it. You can slide it out or pop the top off.

As of right now, the humidity has dropped. Not sure why it did, but I am happy. In fact, it went below 25%, so I added some water in a metal dish to bring it up a bit. The temp went a bit too hot, but I plan to buy a dimmer switch tomorrow so that I can regulate the temp from outside. The dimmer switch was the only thing I forgot to buy today. Overall, this was $20 to make. I have no idea what the dimmer switch will cost.

Last edited:
Dimmer switch and cord should be under 10 bucks at home depot. Should work fine provided the room temps day and night don't fluctuate. Used a dimmer switch when I was little, and if the room temp went down 2 deg, so did the incubator temp.

I saw the dimmer socket at walmart for about $7. You screw it onto your lamp socket, then screw your light bulb into it. Never used it, but hope it works for you. BTW it is located in the thermostat section.

Nice job!

I have a set of plans all made up, with a materials list and everything, for a homemade incubator I designed - but then my mom surprised me with a Brinsea last spring, and now I've been too lazy to finish my own!

Reading this thread has re-inspired me to assemble my own incubator. The parts have been lying in the garage, forgotten, for a year now. Just think of how many more ducklings I'll be able to hatch this season!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom