TOTAL NEWB trying to incubate...

eac04

Songster
9 Years
Feb 3, 2010
Well we're trying our hand at incubating a couple dozen eggs that our chickens have laid. I've read and read and READ SOME MORE everything that everyone has had to say and I'm LOST.

Our incubator is store-bought - A Little Giant STILL AIR incubator. No automatic turner cause it's a little too much of an expense for us at the moment. I am fully prepared to turn those eggs as recommended. My only concern is the whole humidity/temperature suggestions EVERYONE HAD. The incubator just came with a regular cheap-o thermometer. Where do I get a better one? How do I measure humidity? Where can I find what I need to ensure a high success rate?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. ANY HELP you can provide is greatly appreciated. Right now I have all the eggs inside the house coming up to room temperature as suggested and am test running the incubator. I don't plan to put them in until TOMORROW. If there is something that needs to get done BY THEN... Please help a newbie out. I'm so excited at the idea of raising new chickies, I just want to do it right. I'm so nervous about it all, you'd think it was ME that was going into labor (or something). LOL

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

welcome-byc.gif
Walmart has an Acurite temp/humd digital. They work fine I have a couple. The temp should be 102 at top of eggs. I have hova bator with a fan. If you know someone with an old computer, you could get the fan out and attach it in side bator and it would be free, free is good. I'm sure you'll do fine your using your own eggs, they dont have to travel far. If read as much as I did you can get things mixed up. Save info you like. Have fun and good luck.

RELAX!!!!!! IF i can hatch 2 chicks out of 3 in a bucket with a light you can certainly do just fine with your incubator. from what I have read the temp for a still air incubator is 101-102 degrees the humidity should be around 60% until the day 18 where you then want it up to 75-80% God has to do the rest. be patient unlike me once they start to pip out it can take up to 24 hour for them to zip out sometimes longer I read. one of mine hatched out in about a hour after I found him pipping out, the other was very slow so I decided to help it I wont do it this time I WILL BE PATIENT I WILL BE PATIENT! I have 6 eggs 2 are sizzles!!! back in my make shift incubator a cookie tin covered with a shower cap,and a bowl of water for humidity and an over head light for warmth, thermator and thats it! I am in the process of making a incubator I bought I old metal cooler, fan, light fixture was looking for a free hot water heater therostat but I guess I will pay $9.00 and but one maybe it will be done before they hatch and I will move them into it good luck and have fun 21 days seems like eternity so be prepared but it is so much fun!
ps i can never get the smilies to work I have it turned on so If somebody can help me let me know

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom