Help! yolk sack or guts out of my chickies belly!

spuentes

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 27, 2009
What do I do for my little chickie? I'm not sure if is an unabsorbed yolk sack or it's little guts?
35469_p1010955.jpg

35469_p1010954.jpg

Either way, what shall I do? Right now its still in the incubator and I have cleared out most of the other chickies (there was one other not ready to come out yet). Its quite active and moving all over the incubator and chirping a lot.

Looks like the yolk was not absorbed. I don't think anything can be done, I've read that the chicks don't make it when this occurs. Hopefully someone with experience with this will write in. Sorry about you chickie.

leave it in the incubator, maybe on a wet cloth, alone if possible so no one pecks it

I had one with some residual yolk that absorbed over time. Yours looks worse, but might make it. A red light or red plastic over the incubator window can also protect it from pecks.

Not knowing how to cull, after DH told me to put a chick in the freezer and it failed, (
sickbyc.gif
I am still finding fluff in my freezer from her getting out of her box in there) I held her on ice packs til she was 'gone'. As long as her head was in my hand she was happy. With luck I'll never have to cull again.

Last edited:
When I had one like that I put it in a zip lock bag with it's head outside of the bag and a wet paper towel inside the bag. I was sure it would be dead every time I went to look at it. She made it and is laying eggs now.

If that stuff hanging out was just a solid yolk sac, I would leave it in a wet towel to adsorb. Howver, more likly than not, the naval will shrink up around those intestines and the chick will end up dying. You can try pushing them back in, but the chick may have other issues too.

Quote:
That is a great success story! Spuentes, I would say go for it and try to keep her alive. At least then you will know that you did everything you could to give her a chance!

Good luck!!!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom