Animal welfare and miscellaneous enclosure design topics

I don't know about most folks here, but I kind of agree with the line of thought that one should build a coop and run secure enough to protect their birds. What you feel is secure is up to you.

If you think chicken wire is fine, great. I wish you luck.

If you think you need 2"x4" 14g welded wire backed up by 1/2" hardware cloth and an electric fence, even better.

The few things I would ask you to do is that if you experience a loss, correct it immediately, and add the next layer of protection.

Some folks look at these birds as pets, others as an investment. Everyone places a different value on these animal, as someone else here pointed out, but please respect the animals that you keep by providing them with a safe environment to live in.

Too many folks have read stories right here where folks thought their safety plan was "good enough" by their standards, yet the flock has suffered huge losses. Make the effort and respect the animals that give you food. You owe them that much. While a few losses may be truly accidental, most are readily preventable.

I built my coop based on ideas I gleaned from folks here, and what materials I have on hand. Do a search on my coop. It is high speed and low drag because I took the best of the ideas I saw here. Lots of great ideas here. Hopefully you plan to do the same.

Do you actually plan on having chickens, or are you just contemplating it in a metaphysical sort of fashion?

I wish you luck, either way.

couldn't have said it better Dogfish!!
thumbsup.gif

I'd like to see those.

This is the original.

I covered it with shingles and added the windows. It was made with 1" thick pine boards up to 14" wide, and has a concrete floor
It has the original tin roof:

Chickencoop002.jpg

I copied the basic design when I added this 8 X 12 addition:

BrandysPuppies079.jpg

My next door neighbor is 85 years old and his Grandfather built the first coop.
They used to raise 100 chickens every year, and farmed 400 acres with mules

He also built the house I live in, with lumber that was cut here on the farm
The house was built in 1895

Front:

FrontView_edited.jpg
\\

West Side:

House003.jpg

Southeast Corner:

House007.jpg

Thanks Bear Foot Farm.
Quote:
So the first coop is more like 100 years old (with some new shingles). Looks like the run isn't painted and has no overhead cover. What kind of predators do you have there and how many chickens have you lost?

My grandfather told me that when they were searching for properties to buy, he would leave a rubber mat on the floor overnight and check for moisture under it the next day. Moisture meant the foundation was not sealed. He didn't build their house but he put down tar before they laid the foundation.

Looks like the run isn't painted and has no overhead cover. What kind of predators do you have there and how many chickens have you lost?

Any lumber you can see that's not painted is salt treated.

The runs aren't covered, but the only times I've lost birds to predators (possums) have been when I forgot to close the door at night. I think I've lost about 6 over the last 4 years

I've never lost one to a hawk, although a hawk will occasionally get a pigeon when they are flying

Possums are my biggest threat since they are too stupid to pay a lot of attention to the dogs barking, although that same stupidity makes them very easy to trap

The chickens free range most of the time, and have lots of bushes and buildings to hide in.

I have 7 dogs, 5 of which are Maremma LGD's and most of the yard is bordered with electric fence for my pastures, so it's RARE that anything gets into the yard without my knowing it

We have many types of predators, but my Maremmas are always on guard, HIGHLY ALERT, and ready to defend my critters at a moments notice:

HardWork.jpg

Quote:
Any lumber you can see that's not painted is salt treated.

The runs aren't covered, but the only times I've lost birds to predators (possums) have been when I forgot to close the door at night. I think I've lost about 6 over the last 4 years

I've never lost one to a hawk, although a hawk will occasionally get a pigeon when they are flying

Possums are my biggest threat since they are too stupid to pay a lot of attention to the dogs barking, although that same stupidity makes them very easy to trap

The chickens free range most of the time, and have lots of bushes and buildings to hide in.

I have 7 dogs, 5 of which are Maremma LGD's and most of the yard is bordered with electric fence for my pastures, so it's RARE that anything gets into the yard without my knowing it

We have many types of predators, but my Maremmas are always on guard, HIGHLY ALERT, and ready to defend my critters at a moments notice:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k238/Bearfootfarm/HardWork.jpg

They look very alert in that picture!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom