Eggtopsy: What happened to my egg? {Graphic Pictures}

Pics
Hi There, am new here too! Great information wow:) Wish I would have known about this site the last time I incubated. It was my first time and it didn't go very good. Some of them hatched just fine but then some were starting to hatch but dried right into the egg! I take it now that it was from a humidity issue? Anyone have tips so it doesn't happen again? I have started a second batch now and am on day 8 of incubation. I have a hova-vator with the fan. Any help I can get for this would be really appreciated! It's horrible! Just so every one knows the ones that started cracking did survive:) I had to help though. Crazy as this may sound we actually put them under the tap to wash the chicks. Didn't know how else to get the membrane off! Dryed the chick with a towel and stuck it back into the incubator. Figured they were wet anyway. The one chick chick still didn't do too well, his head was swollen and it looked like he had a eye infection. Didn't know what to do with it then started feeding it some silver ions in its mouth and in its eye. It's suppose to kill infection in humans so thinking he might die anyway thought it wouldn't hurt to try. The swelling went down in his head and his eye cleared up! It was still smaller then the other chicks but still perky! One incredible tough chick to my relief! Sorry to say, it did end up dying when I put it out in my regular chicken with it's brothers and sisters. I'm figuring I should have left her a bit longer in the brooder pen till it caught up to the others in size.
hit.gif
Still kicking myself:( Hard way to learn but now I know.

Day 24 my only surviving egg out of 7 in an LG still air. One big temp spike about day 14 otherwise steady at least when I checked it.....lemon blue cochin, no internal pipp, what is wrong. The later pics show the membrane partially removed, the chick had not pipped internally. Thoughts. My humidity was about 65 percent during lockdown, and minimal the rest of the time. I candled at 23 days and thought it was still moving, so I am thinking when I opened the bater something went wrong then, guess I should have left it, I dunno but its sad.
IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

I have another photo to add! I wish I had taken pictures from my first hatch but was smart enough to get atleast this one photo from the second. This hatch was for a friend and out of 15 eggs only 3 developed, 2 quit at about an inch in size and the third made it to what I'm guessing is about 18days? They are either welsummers or marans
89696_chickens-dead_001.jpg

(hopefully the photo works! its my first time trying)

Last edited:
I still refer to this amazing thread when I do my eggtopsy.

I recently had about ten shipped eggs (out of 30) that did not hatch and they were fully developed.

A couple had pipped through the membrane but died.

I kept my humidity between 34-45% and bumped it up to 65% the last three days.

I didn't take pictures since I was the only one home at the time and didn't think about it.

I'm glad to have this thread to refer to!!

I've never had deaths after lockdown. This time, 7 made it to lockdown, 4 hatched, 1 pipped and died, and 2 must have quit after day 18. My humidity was 27% for 18 days, and 70% for the last 3. The first 4 had no issues. This one that pipped and died, actually did start a zip, and died with his beak at the opening. Why?

I hope I have the guts to do the eggtopsy on the other 2...........

The picture with the electric cord is one chick, and the pic or pics without the cord are the other chick. They were alive the day before lockdown.
My pics keep showing up and disappearing. I had 4. I don't know how many you can see. They keep popping in and popping out. Go figure.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom