constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Scored a total of 128 linear feet of aviary.... Four walk in aviarys that a neighbors family didnt need any more.
72852_dscn0605.jpg

Enough to harden full parimeter of proposed poultry house its going to be 24 x 24 feet. But for now I will assemble a six by twelve aviary for the littleuns to live in till I can get the house built. Its 12.5 gauge wire and very structurally strong once it gets assembled. You dont even need framework if you use a stiffener across the middle. to keep the ceiling from sagging.

My plan is to take the 12 foot long six foot high kennel panels that my goats destroyed and strip off the chainlink and cover with these aviary panels. That will achieve a seamless cover as well as being able to use panel clamps for strength. Vertical gaps between panels will be addressed by a fascia of wood between unions that have clamps.... I am deconstructing the Garage doors I was using as one wall and using that wood to create a short wall on the windward side. All bolted to kennel panels so everything will be modular.

I am doing this myself and am somewhat physically challenged with mobilitiy issues. But I find if I work slow and steady I can get a remarkable amount done.

Quote:
Your Durn tootin.... Yes shade is a must. Building a roof is a challenge. a cover of tightly stretched reflective canvas works very well temporarily. I am working up a modular design of roof panels that can be clamped on the kennel panels, and have them drain the very infrequent rains one to the other working their way off the roof.

RED FOX RETURNED OR ANOTHER RED FOX IS ABOUT

It appears my poultry are on local red fox families menu. Lost two juveniles. One red jungle fowl x American game cockerol and another also belonging to front porch flock, I think one of Sallie's. The cockerol was one that was greatly affected by cocci infection a few weeks ago and would likely have been culled in fall anyway. Major behavior change evident in surviving juveniles; they fly up on roof of house, sometimes spontanously as if checking out from what angles they can do it from. That is more than enough to get them out of harms way. They are now able to fly length of football feild so using that ability is desired by all parties except Mr. Fox. Eduardo attempted be a distraction but there limits to risks he can take that will not also ultimately put balance of his broods at risk if he is lost as well. Scoob was not on sight during initial stages of attack but seemed much more confident in his attack. He appears decidely faster than fox when going sight but fox could out turn him and went beyond Scoob's territory. Fox did not leave with kills. I may have to shoot this fox. It will be easy if I am around as it seems to ignore me. Sallie nest must be found and busted so she can concentrate on keeping herself alive.

On our walks, we always lost a few to foxes but once birds figured out what to do, subsequent losses were restricted to hens brooding chicks and those chicks.

Last edited:
Quote:
I am sorry for you loss..... gosh. I hope you get him.

I have my internet fingers in all sorts of places around the US. And Everywhere is being hit in some way. I am thinking young predators being taught to hunt. Or more like heat and hunger are bringing them in closer to where water is more readily avialable....

This is time of year of peak abundance in respect to all predator species where individuals are feeding themselves. Mortality rates for young of all will be high. Fox pups I am guesing get hammered by coyotes and in my area bobcats. Some will starve when it gets real cold. Red-tail hawks must be on menu for great horned owls since by the time migration season begins for juveniles, they are already outnumbered by adults.

I am sitting on chair in middle of yard updating syllaby for classes I teach. I am sitting very quitely listening for Sallie to come of nest and fly with some ruckus to roughly my location. Eduardo is walking with his juvenile offspring and the red jungle hen looking for insects and tender plant shoots. They have created a "cone-of-depression" in respect to larger insects and must walk across road to where red fox comes from in order to get into the easy pickins. Sky is overcast with occasional drops of rain coming down, otherwise all birds would be in their day roosts.

One of Sallie's pullets is standing off to side sick, sleeping a lot with swollen eyelids. She is still in good weight. She seems to be afflicted with whatever my entire flock had last summer / fall when fall migration started. Disease last year caused incoming feathers to look like crap is reason Eduardo tail always looked to poor.

This is also time Mr. Fox drops by, if he does again I will hold Scoob back until fox commits to chase then Scoob will be released hopefully to catch fox unaware. We will kill it if we can. Presently Scoob is stocking the sick pullet. He got right up on her and she did not even open her eyes so Scooby sat down and is looking on into direction fox comes from.

The front yard bush can be very dangerous.

TALKING CRAP BETWEEN SUB-FLOCKS

I am trying to feed all sub-flocks in same location to make it harder for Mr. Fox to hit from side Scoob is not watching. Social interactions much frequent and intense between sub-flocks. Front porch flock juveniles are not dominant over other sub-flocks unless their dad is close by. Their dad does not fight on their side, he simply drives off other sub-flocks from a feed pile and does not attack his own offspring so they stay. It is cool hearing the low volume threats made by groups of chicks disputing access to a food pile. Even when the front porch juveniles are being displaced, they still talk smack as they back away. Red jungle fowl hen does nothing to promote interest of her juveniles, that seems to be Eduardo's job exclusively.

perchie.girl :

absolutely love the running commentary.....

Yup, me too! Keep up the good work, you have a captive audience!​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom