Underground Goose Nest

Serina81

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Lucerne Valley, CA
I'm working on an underground (or at least in ground) goose nest. I'm constantly fighting the crows over the goose eggs and I was hoping the nest being sunk in the ground would discourage them. I don't know if the geese will use it yet. Any suggestions?

Here's a pic of the hole I dug. I put in a sloping ramp because the geese are klutzy.

24345_goose_nest_1.gif

Then I put an A frame shelter in the hole and covered it somewhat with dirt. I already had the shelters, which I used this year as nests, otherwise I would probably just put bales of hay around the hole and a piece of wood as a roof. I put rocks in the bottom of the hole so that any water going into the nest would drain down away from nesting material and not flood the nest. Where I live we only get 3 inches of rain annually so I'm not too worried about flooding. If it does become a problem, then I'm thinking I'll put a french drain under it.

24345_goose_nest_2.gif

So far the geese are looking at the shelter like it's the gateway to hell. I put their food on the "ramp" going into it and I hope to keep scooting it further down into the nest until they get used to it.

24345_goose_nest_3.gif

Hilarious! I love the picture of your geese, they actually look like they are saying to each other.... "what the..????" I don't know, I think it looks like a great idea, personally. You'll have to update us and let us know if it worked out. I would think they would get used to it? Putting their food near it is a good idea. Very neat concept.

I know a friend of mine who buried a dog igloo under the ground for their ducks. It worked out well until Hurricane Irene showed up. We got hit pretty hard and then the igloo was full. But heck if you are only getting 3 inches of rain a year go for it! I would. Sounds and looks awesome.

Back
Top Bottom