I did it!!! I vaccinated my chicks & chickens!

gumpsgirl

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Virginia
I can't believe it! I'm so proud of myself! I know that sounds vain and pardon me for sounding that way, but I have to tell you that I have been dreading this ever since my chickens got sick. Now it's done! I could only vaccinate 25 of them. The others have to wait until they are 8 wks. old. They are 4 wks. now so I guess I'll get them the same time I give the booster to the others. One more bridge crossed.
smile.png

I'm really glad you got some brought back to health. It's good to hear after following the ups and downs of this thread.
I feel real bad that you might have to cull 2. It's never easy.

Quote:
Thank you. I've already had to cull 9 of them and have several more that need to be. I think we are going to try and take care of that in the morning. I also lost one more, a little d'Uccle, on Sat. due to reasons not related to the Coryza. This little chick was so sweet and vivacious but had a terrible cross beak. We all hated to see her go.
sad.png
Hopefully I won't have to cull to many more and no more die. The death toll now stands at 17.

clap.gif
Now that you have done it once next time will be less stressful as you now have an idea of what you are doing!

I sure hope you don't loose anymore to this.

Thanks Kitty! It wasn't to bad at all. It was silent when I went out to the coop this morning, which is really unusual. Usually Rhodey is crowing his head off and the hens are making their noises. I thought to myself, "Oh my word. They're all dead!" I unlocked the coop holding my breath and much to my relief, here they all came just a clucking! Thank heavens! I was so worried that I had killed all of them. Phew!

I don't think that I will have anymore die, but I know I've got some culling I will have to do. I'm not looking forward to that. I have a couple that I was going to cull this morning, but wasn't in the mood to do it. I've got to work on getting in the correct mind frame.

So happy to hear all is well with you and your chicks. I would be interested in knowing where you got the vacine and specificcally how you actually did it. Perhaps there is a detailed post on BYC with pictures about this that I have not seen, but seems it would certainly be useful.

Anne

Quote:
First off, there are many different types of vaccines out there and each one has different ways of administering it. The Coryza vaccine had to be give subcutaneously (under the skin) at the bottom of the neck, sort of in between the wings. I had three helpers, one to catch the chickens and two to help me hold them down. I sat on a stool and had one of my sons bring me a chicken and sit it in my lap. Another one of my sons held the chickens body down while the other held their head. It wasn't to bad. If anyone is interested I'd me more than happy to photograph the next round (when I do the boosters in 4 wks.) step by step and post it.

Last edited:
How did it go with the boosters? Did any of them show any symptoms?

Sorry to split up my questions between the threads, but it seemed like the right thing to do...

I have a friend going through this whole mess, with HUNDREDS of chickens of at least 6 different ages...

She's been in contact with Peter, but is not clear on her plan within minutes of speaking to him...it's a tad overwhelming.

I'm trying to help...and have the incubators and newly hatched chicks...there will be another 100 easy after the hatches. I can't keep them all here, in the city!

I'm hoping if I can see the plan in a clear way, that I can hep her stay on track for saving the greatest number and preventing the new ones from becoming infected.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom