Converting old wooden dog coop to chicken coop

SundownWaterfowl

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Southern Columbia County NY
I just started to convert my old dog coop into a small chicken coop/breeder pen.

I plan to put my silkies in there.

Im guessing its about 4-5 feet long, and about 4 feet high and maybe 3 feet across.?

Its 15 years old but in great shape. The frame if pressure treated 2X2's.

So, today I took of the one side. I measured out a new board, cut it. etc. Then I measured out little open doors. About 12" tall by 10" wide. (It will be housing 2 trios of silkies).

Then I cut out the doors.

I am going to be running a piece of hardwire cloth down the middle, that way it is two pens in one. Then Im going to make two doors on the outside so I can keep 2 trios of silkies seperate by colors. Im going to make a fence out of hardwire or chicken wire and close it all in and make it predator proof.

Ill post pictures maybe tomorrow. LoL! It must be alot to understand.

I converted a doghouse myself, and attached a run to it. It works just peachy! (If you can, make the roof detachable so the thing will be easier to clean out. )

Quote:
Hey that's a good idea about the roof. Or at least one side if it's up off the ground. Coffeelady3 do you have pictures???? I'd love to see!

I saw this post because just TODAY I brought home the disassembled 4 wall panels and the pitched & shingled roof of a nice sized DOG HOUSE and needed ideas on how to make it work. My plan currently is perhaps to raise it off the ground and attach it to the converted rabbit hutch they are sleeping/ locked in at night.

The rabbit hutch is inside a covered dog kennel where they scratch around during the day (under and around the raised hutch.. the run is a standard kennel about 5 by 10 or so). Right now I have to go put them up every night because they roost ON TOP of the hutch which is metal peaked roof & is 6 foot high! And that is fine, (because I like it:) but since they like to perch so high, I'm trying to figure out how to let them perch high but INSIDE where they will be safer. I put tile down over the hardware cloth floor except under the perch in the converted rabbit hutch. It's worked great as it lets the poo fall through or I use a broom to help it along. So I'm also trying to figure out the best flooring for the dog house conversion (because the original floor was rotten anyway).

I'm thinking that the enclosure of the wood dog HOUSE will work great for the short but harsh 2 months of winter time and also solve the problem I was having figuring where I was going to build their nest box where it will be dark and cozy. I only have two hens and a roo, but would like to add two more hens.

I'd love to see the pictures of your setup SundownWaterfowl! Please post soon!

Here's a couple of pics...

The whole thing with the run attached

12447_outside.jpg

The back of the roof attached with hasps and caribeners. (This way I can either swing it open if I just need to change food/water, or I can remove the whole darned thing for cleaning)

12447_back.jpg

The front of the roof is attached directly to the run with eye hooks and caribeners (I really wish I new how to spell that word!)

12447_side_top.jpg

Everything's working out great so far.

If there's anything else you would like a picture of, just let me know...

Back
Top Bottom