Posts by vclark321

Read the rules very closely.  Be certain the definition of 'livestock' includes or does not include poultry.  In my city, poultry in not considered 'livestock'.  Cattle, horses, pigs and such are 'livestock'.  Maybe getting rid of just the rooster would help diminish the 'noise'.  My next door neighbors liked hearing the chickens sing the egg song!  Journal dogs barking, leaf blowers, lawn mowers, diesel engines running and such.  Our city ordinance has a decibel limit...
Oh know what would work great? I saw some plastic boot trays (for wet boots in the mud room) at the dollar store. They were roughly 1' x 2'. At least a good trial material.
Yesterday was our day to integrate. I have 3 (mafia wives) year olds and 3 (desparate housewives) 20 week olds. I had the younger ones in their own pen and I put them in the big pen by themselves to explore. Then I put the least aggressive of the big girls in until I had the most aggressive girl in the cage. There were a few incidents, but noting major. They went into the coop atnbedtime and all slept peacefully. This morning my aggressive one started in on the young ones...
I have some established hens & I have new girls ready to lay next month. I have them in separate coops & runs that are next to each other. They free range in the yard but they stay separated for the most part. The big girls will chase the new girls to assert dominance. I am going to be trying a few different things to get them all together but I know & expect some issues so I will figure out what works & what doesn't work. Good luck!
This came at the right time for me! I have month old chicks and they were in the house and driving me crazy! Can't blame them, they were going crazy! Today they are outside in an old dog house I have had with a run attached for them to explore. They have straw and pine shavings and a heat lamp inside the dog house for warmth. They are exploring and going inside when cold and sleeping under the heat lamp in the straw. The older flock came to investigate the new kids. So...
Sorry about your roo and happy to hear everyone else is mending well.  I live in the Pacific Northwest and I have 2 sets of nesting Bald Eagles in the area and I know they are back in town.  I have a lake in front of my house and a lake behind my house and a duck pond on the property.  Very majestic birds, but I have seen them eating road kill on train tracks and get run over themselves.  I keep a spoting scope on 1 of the couples and watch them raise 2 or 3 kids.  They...
Will there be a hatch cam?  I want to follow the hatching!  Set up a hatch cam~!
My year old girls are RuPaul, Raja and Bertha Venation.  The month old girls are Bernadette, Mitzy and Felicia.  All named after famous drag queens.  I like the names people come up with like Divan or other food references....
I am going to read back through everything,  but I am wondering how long it takes to see actual baby mealworms after the beetle stage.  I have a boatload of beetles and I have not seen any mealies tiny or otherwise.  Do they eat their own?  I have plenty of food in the container for them and they are warm and dark.  Just wondering.... Thank you.
I can hardly wait until my 3 new girls can go outside!  These girls are much fiestier than my other 3 last year!  I live in Western Washington and it has been snowing, hailing, raining, sunny etc. crazy weather!  Not even close to letting them out, even for a few minutes.  I hope yours enjoy that fun stuff!