Posts by KYTinpusher

I probably should have taken you up on this.  I did put eggs in to test, but when I took them out for the first candle, they seemed rather cool and I found out one of my Brinseas died.  The second one seems to be working well and fertility is now well confirmed!  However, that last blast of cold weather slowed the girls down a bit. Hopefully they will pick up again soon so I can put together an interesting package. Also, I forgot to mention that all of my Svarthöna have...
I know I stirred things up a little yesterday. Many may think I did a complete about face in my guidance, but I don't think that is true. I have always said to look to the foundation flocks in Sweden for where we should be headed. And I have always encouraged breeders to look to, and obtain if possible, the first import stock because it is more uniform in appearance and closer, IMO, to what Silverudd was working with when he died. And while I am now advocating that we...
There are some developments in the Silverudd's Blue World. The Swedish Culture Poultry Association has come out with an official description of the breed:   "Silverudd’s Blue created in the 1980s by Martin Silverudd. To create the breed he used a small productive New Hampshire and a small productive Rhode Island Red. He must have used at least two races to. Descendants to the Cream Legbar he imported in the late 50s was part of the creation to get the gene for blue shell...
   You guys have me in tears here because of your kind, selfless offers to help me out.  I do appreciate the thought, but my original group of Silverudd's Blue laid their first egg of the season yesterday, so it is time to fire up the bator anyway. And since a single chick would be so lonely, I have to make sure there are enough eggs in the incubator that at least a few hatch. I have to fill it up, right? 
You could also try the "Lawrenceburg KY Chicken Swap". It is an open group and has a very large following of breeders in KY and surrounding states.
Did you try the "Real Ameraucana Marketplace"?
   Well, darn. I guess I NEED to put some eggs in the bator to check fertility so I can list an auction. I wouldn't want to disappoint anyone!    
Glad you caught it before it started a fire. Look into Sweeter Heaters.
Is there anyone here that likes to hatch something out-of-the-ordinary? I am contemplating putting up an auction and wonder if there would be much interest.     So.... I have a grow-out pen that I have been thinking about breaking into breeding/laying pens now that they are laying. Actually, 2 of the pullets were supposed to be re-homed already, but due to predator issues, I still have them. I am not ready to hatch from them yet, so wasn't really thinking about the...
Yes, he is Mauve genetically. Dad was splash/split and mom was chocolate. He looks darker in the picture than in person. Once the sun and green grass return, I look forward to getting better pictures.   Both gold and silver are acceptable in the breed, so I may end up with both, but I really like the silver hackles on my chocolate pullets, and especially on the mocha (mauve) hen I have. (not pictured above).