Posts by KYTinpusher

It is unlikely that there will ever be an SOP for the Silverudd's Blue. We will probably develop a breed description, but it will most likely will not be narrow enough to be considered an SOP, at least where the APA is concerned. This is not just because Martin Silverudd was against breeding his breeds to an SOP, but because doing so would likely hurt their production capabilities. After all, this is a production breed. I am following the groups in Sweden as they put...
 Personally, I would leave it and see if it can make it the rest of the way out on its own. If it is too weak to finish, then it is probably not strong enough to survive. If you try to help and it is not yet ready to hatch, you risk more blood loss that I doubt it could recover from. You have done what you could. Now I suggest patience and let Mother Nature take charge.
The video doesn't play when I click it, just opens as an image, so I didn't see if the raccoon opened the door. Raccoons are very smart and strong. If they can get a finger hold under the door, they will open it. If there is not a bar across the bottom of the door to block them from getting leverage, you will need to modify it. Just make sure that however you modify it, the door can still close all the way and doesn't get hung up. Remember, weather can make wood expand and...
So, raccoons it was! They will come out before dusk if they are hungry enough, so you will need another way to protect your chickens beside the automatic door.
Very pretty birds, but they are not leghorns. Light Sussex, perhaps?
I'm so sorry for your loss!  Make sure you move the nightguard lights once in a while so the predators don't get used to it. Our resident fox won't go near our donkeys pasture.  She would rather be out in the open on the road than go through the pasture.   I agree with the electric poultry netting. Once the fox knows it is electric, it won't go near it even if the power is out. I find that the only time our neighborhood fox comes after my chickens is when she is raising...
 I'm so sorry for your loss!  Something may have gotten in before the door shut for the night (and escaped when it opened in the morning), or the door may not have functioned properly (dead battery?) and stayed open all night. Did you check it to make sure it was closed at night? A large animal like a raccoon or fox would have eaten a good portion of the body of at least one if it were trapped in there all night. But don't assume it was because of the automatic door. Check...
Amazon, Walmart, Tractor Supply or your local farm/garden center.
The hawk may not see the fishing line and could become entangled in it. It could fall through and become trapped in with your birds. If you use fishing line, also hang a bunch of old CDs from it. The flashes of light off the CDs will scare off the hawk. I use the holographic bird scare tape over my open runs and it works great. When hung a little loosely and slightly twisted, the slightest breeze causes many flashes of light so the hawk can not easily gauge the size of the...
Yes, I still have 2 extra.