Posts by KYTinpusher

Very pretty girl!
Well, the culprit has been positively identified. It was stalking the coop when DD and I went out to check the coop this morning. It is a juvenile Red Tail. One of our neighbors is a DFW warden, so we will be talking to him to see if there is anything we can do now that it has a taste for chicken.
Thank you. I hope you hatch one or two like her. 
I lost one of my Swedish Flower Hens today. My black crested hen was killed by a hawk while I was gone today. My daughter heard the commotion and went out in her bare feet to see what was the matter. She saw a small hawk, perhaps a peregrin or kestrel, on the fence to the pasture next to the SFH coop. She scared it away. I am not sure if the hen was already dead at that point and she just didn't see her, or if the hawk returned later. My husband found the hen when he went...
Thank you! Going from left to right, 66.2g, 65.5g, 62.9g and 62.6g.
I'll PM you.  There is more to come when I get more time, but for now, picture time! Last year my girls were first year layers. They amazed me with the large eggs that they laid relative to their small body size. This year they are even more amazing!!! That is a quarter in the picture with the eggs. 
I use Poultry Nutri-Drench. I always use it with chicks for a couple of weeks, but not with every water fill. I use it occasionally with my adult birds.
Welcome to the SFH thread!  You're going to love these birds! Several people have had issues with SFH chicks when they were raised on medicated feed, others had no issues. The medication blocks the uptake of thiamin. This seems to be an issue with some SFH. The problems that cropped up were usually taken care of with vitamins - most used Infant Poly-Vi-Sol, without iron. I raised my first SFH on medicated feed and I know I lost one for no apparent reason, but I was a...
Sorry to leave you hanging. Let me start a summary of some of the information I have learned thus far. This may have to be done in parts...   Disclaimer:  This is my interpretation of what I have read based on my translations.   I think everyone knows that the Isbar was originally bred by a Swedish monk, Martin Silverudd. He also bred some other rare Swedish breeds - Queen Silvia, Fifty Five Flowery, and Småland Hens. His mission in breeding was to accomplish very...
 I feel like Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) in the movie Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory! "So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it. Thank you."  I have spent way too many hours recently doing research on the Isbars, but I just can't stop myself!  I think I am learning Swedish by osmosis. Automatic translators leave a lot to be desired, but I am learning a lot of Swedish by having to fill in the holes. I don't have time to get into it all...