Posts by KYTinpusher

His tail feathers are blue (gray) and not black. His chest doesn't show, but he is mottled blue on his chest. Not the best picture to show blue-based, but it is all I have right now.
 Here's one 
Think again!  I think I have a Bresse with the same problem. It is almost 16 weeks old and I am still not positive if it is a pullet or a cockerel. Its comb and wattles size are in between the cockerel and the pullets that it hatched with, redder than the pullets, but not as red as the cockerels. I am thinking I will get a capon without the surgery on this one. 
Yes, he could be pure, but he may also be a poor Birchen Marans - size and body type point more toward that. You can't know for sure without a lot of test breeding to see what color egg genes he carries. If you use him in an Isbar breeding program and he doesn't carry the blue egg gene, you could put a lot of effort in for nothing. At least with a pullet you can make an educated guess on breed by seeing what color egg she lays. If you are serious about wanting to start an...
I have a blue cockerel that I hatched from my original line birds that is showing some color like that on his chest. The parent stock does not have it. I have seen pictures of other Isbars that have it, but it is not as noticeable on the blue and splash birds due to the lighter color. I suspect it is along the same lines as Black Copper Marans that are over pigmented and develop coloring on the chest. His build is stockier than my cockerels, but that could be the new...
Coloring does suggest cockerel, but at 14 weeks, his comb and wattles should be much larger. Check underneath the saddle feathers to see if the pointy feathers are coming in.
I have one in my order of new line Isbars from GFF that has a small comb. It doesn't look like the pea comb on my Ameraucanas, but more like a tiny single comb. There are distinct points on her comb, but tiny. I will try to get a better picture later today, but this is her a couple of weeks ago at about 5 weeks old. As for your splash boy, I have no idea what he is. Body type is all wrong for an Isbar. Perhaps one of their infamous unidentifiable extras.  You could email...
Another GFF mystery?  
I have found that pullets hatched in the spring and summer that mature during the shortening days of fall will begin laying at a much older age than pullets hatched in the fall and winter that mature during the lengthening days of spring. Usually 6 months and up for those that start laying in the fall and winter, and 18 weeks and up for those that start laying in the spring. Just give them a litlle more time. Once one starts, they probably all will. 
Sending good hatching vibes!