Posts by debs_flock

Yup, one of my roos.
This was the toe I broke a few years ago......... I had one of those antique Singer sewing machines sitting on the floor in the spare room.  I walked in to get something and didn't bother turning on the lights.  I think the neighbors down the road heard me scream when I walked into it in the dark. The toe still gives me trouble. You have my utmost sympathies
 Lovely photo and I love a good rare steak, but I'd be pushing all the peppercorns to the edge of the plate.
 A trio gives you the best chance to develop multiple genetic lines, for the least amount of money outlay (and space).  Four hens would be even better. If I have a breeding coop, I try to keep one roo to around five or six girls.  Then just keep breeding and culling to your best.  Don't be afraid to cull your original breeding stock, the point is to improve on them in future generations. If you want to know the exact genetics of course, you need to set up individual...
Lovely shot Scarlett!
I'll PM you.
 Yes, they are very sweet and gentle.  Cochins are a nice chicken breed.
Oops, I forgot, I also have three cock/cockerel bantam Columbian cochins.  I had a predator break into the pen and kill all my girls.  If anyone is interested in the boys, they can have them for free.  They are also from exhibition lines.  The roo was best of breed at the last show I took them to, and the two youngsters are his sons.
I've been sorting chicken pens all weekend (while worming and checking over the birds individually) and this is what I know I'll have so far   Pair of Tomaru longcrowers (from Sandhill) Two breeding groups of Icelandic (roo with three hens each) Trio of bantam buff brahma (exhibition lines) A breeding group of Iowa Blues (roo and five hens - these may be spoken for) A silver penciled Plymouth Rock roo and about 8 or 9 hens (exhibition lines) Two blue Isbar hens A...
 There's a woman here on the board that lives back east.  Her house had the sheets of Styrofoam insulation under the siding.  Her chickens were able to get at it and they ate ALL of the insulation out. So much for the theory that some people have about animals instinctively knowing what's not good for them.