Posts by danaalex

there is no color anywhere that is not black.  i know i have never seen a solid black chick!   i am 99% sure the egg was a light green..... i do have some color sensitivity, so it could be light blue, but i'm almost positive it was green.     i'll snap a picture if i can. momma keeps a very tight rein on them :-) 
they can get outside, but where their pen is there isn't much shade.....  i am going to work on enlarging the pen this weekend and that will end up enclosing a shady area.      i hadn't even thought about snakes! i know i get them in my yard from time to time. blah.  i'm going to search the yard again today and then tomorrow start penning the girls that are laying.    thanks!
this started a week or so ago. they all stopped laying in the nesting boxes...... i found 4 random eggs throughout the yard and  since then haven't found anymore. i have 8 hens that i KNOW are laying. i just can't figure out WHERE!  it's a bit frustrating.  part of me thinks that i have a critter that is stealing the eggs which is why i can't find them. since i don't know where they are laying it's hard to prove that!  none are broody and it hasn't been so hot ( except a...
momma hen hatched out two chicks from eggs i bought. i am 99.9% sure that one is a speckled sussex.   the other, i haven't a clue. it came from a light green egg ( i think) and it is SOLID black. the whole chick is black, black beak, and black legs and feet........  i have never seen a solid black chick.    any ideas?   thanks!! :-)
well, i started to work on enclosing my existing run. raised the walls to the top of the posts. next was going to be something to create a roof.   today, i went out ( all the chickens were locked up in the pen) and i found feathers everywhere :-(  some in the yard, which means a couple got out somehow and the rest were in the pen, but NONE were in the coop. i couldn't find a hole or 'break in' point anywhere. my last 6 layers..... gone :-(   needless to say i am...
i was thinking of placing an order with them, and checked here for a recent review thread.  i happened upon this one.    i think those are some beautiful cochins!     i am not into chickens for showing or perfection, just for fun and eggs really. they keep me busy and happy. so, i don't care so much about "show quality" or traits that would disqualify or anything like that. plus, i'm not breeding for anything either.  i think i will take my chances with a...
when the hawks have perched in my yard the chickens have flipped out. it's how i found the hawks. all the commotion!  they would hide under the coop, or in the tall weed/grass.  up by the house under the porch, etc.  and just go on and on and on!!   so, i guess i just figured that they would react the same way to a fox.    sigh........   thanks for the help!!!
enclosed as in mine needs a top.  i've had fed many predators  recently and it's got to stop.     chain link is not a bad idea!  i was leaning towards a hard surface material to help keep rain and snow and sun out too.     i don't think i'll have a hard time making the walls taller, but its the roof part that has me freaking out a little bit.  i am a short woman and honestly i have NO CLUE how to build ANYTHING! LOL
thanks! i was guessing fox, but like i said, i haven't seen a THING.  we are in a town, but my yard backs up to a huge yard and a mildly wooded area with a stream. my guess that is were they would be buried if anywhere near by.  there have been random deer that have run by too.    i never would imagine that a fox would be smart enough to know when i'm not home!!!  my kitchen is the room that leads to the back yard. there are windows and doors, and i spend most of...
Hi!  i need to change my run into an enclosed run, and i will probably end up having to do it alone.......    do i need to start from the beginning? or can i just modify using the current posts, etc?   all advice is appreciated! thank you!!!