Posts by RedIII

Thanks! I think if I offered to pay for them, they'd be more inclined to say yes. It won't be right away, but I do want to try at some point. Right now I have too many birds, as it is, since I guess Tooele has a limit of 8 and I have 12. Boooo.
Ooh Cynthia, your Leghorn girl is so pretty! I love her little face and the look she is giving you Those Leghorns have such fun personalities. I was down in Delta for part of the weekend, and our property there is near some commercial egg farms. It gave me the itch again to see if they would sell me a few of their "spent" hens so that I could take them home and rehab them and love them. I have no idea if they would be Leghorn or Production Red, but I really don't care. I...
I wish Mahonri was still here. I remember that his hen Phyllis had a huge head poof as an adult. I'd like to see any pictures he had of her as a chick.
Rheaps, your biggest predator threat will probably come from raccoons. I used to live smack in the middle of West Valley, and those things were all over out there! If you have any dogs, encourage them to urinate around the coop and run now and again. My brother had a husky that marked out in our yard, and my mom had a terrier. I really think that's why we never saw the raccoons around our chickens, and our run was always open. I agree with Cynthia on the hawks and cats,...
Hi all. To be short and sweet, I keep Icelandic chickens. Recently, I have seen a couple of pictures surface on the net of vaulted Icelandics - a thing which is NOT in the breed description. This is a landrace fowl that can have feather crests, but no vaulting. So, are any gene gurus aware of how the vault gene develops or comes about? Or is anyone familiar with how a rumpless gene can get into a purebred gene pool? I have also heard of a rumpless Icelandic chick hatching...
I have a question for anyone who deals with vaulted breeds. Can you physically feel the vault on the chicks or adults? I'm referring to the skull, not the feathers. I ask because we've had a quandary show up on the Icelandic thread. Someone there has a chick that sure looks vaulted, but they said the skull feels normal. And on Berrytangle Farms' site, they have a picture of a vaulted Icelandic hen. This isn't part of the breed description. Anyone have any thoughts?
I'm not sure how to tell by feel. I think we may have to check with people that breed something like Silkies. I will go pose the question on my state thread - we have a few folks there who deal with vaulted breeds.
Are you referring to the black one partway down? Wow, I've never seen a vaulted Icelandic. And Berrytangle Farms has a good reputation, too. What in the world?A breeder that got eggs from me has had a rumpless chick hatch out from her Icee pair, and I can guarantee I didn't cross any of my birds. She keeps all of her breeds in separate pens, too.I admit I'm feeling a little baffled, now. How would a vault gene have shown up in the Icelandics, other than cross breeding? Or...
Thank you both for the suggestions. I think I'm feeling frustrated about a lot today, so that's making me feel more discouraged about the breeding. RJ, thank you. I raised all of my Icelandics from little babies. It took a while to accumulate the flock I have now. I have some lovely pictures of them, but I need my computer to post them and I don't have internet here right now. Sorry. I love showing off my Icees.
RJ, that is a good looking flock! I'm glad Cogburn is fitting in so well. Silly, lol! I'm glad you found your hen, but sorry about the chick. Were you on here when my BR let herself into the neighbor's house? Sundance, too funny about your new Silkie mom. Cute. Well I'm sitting outside in the shade with my babies, at the moment. I have another baby acting sick, and I'm about ready to give up on breeding. It's not like I neglect my animals or don't clean up after them or...