Posts by Buxton Ducks

She gets prettier each day! She just looks like a mini EE now so I am assuming this is what she will look like...
Here she is on day one in the run! She is such a pretty girl.
Thanks for the tips! While looking for my drill bits I found an old shed latch that I had. With that, I have officially Coon-proofed the door! I really would love to keep the door open all the time, but I don't think the run is 100% coon resistant.
I just finished my chicken door going into the run. My only concern is that it does not lock closed. It seems that a raccoon could easily slide this open and have a chicken dinner. I didn't know what everybody did to lock their sliding doors at night.
Cool, guess time will tell! I will post pictures of her as she grows!
I have a sweet little easter egger with a unique pattern. Any ideas on what she will look like as an adult?
Thank you so much, this was extremely helpful. My winters are very long and harsh so I know they will not use the run during that time. I will rehome some birds to make it fair. I want happy and healthy birds!
I know this is an over discussed topic but I am still very confused. I have a converted storage shed (8x8x8) with an attached run (21x10x6 high). The run has a wire predator proof top but no roof. I have 20 chicks right now, 2 roos and 18 pullets. There are two large staggered perches that run the 8' length of the coop. I haven't built nest boxes yet... Is their space enough to accommodate them? When I get home after work in the spring/summer/fall I will let them...
Chicks are typically hatched in an incubator and therefore come from a clean slate. Hatcheries all need to be NPIP too, therefore you recieve healthy disease free chicks (mostly). My problem is that I got an adult from a non-NPIP source and she was carying the disease...
Yep barred rock was a girl... Luckily there was a person down the road from me who got a barred rock cockerel by accident... We made a swap and here he is meeting his new brother. These guys will have an important job ahead of them: to watch over a flock of 21 hens!