Posts by Leslie Standen

Thanks for your reply.  I am excited to hear my "siren" when he is a bit older.  He is actually shy and acts like a "hen" on one of the lower rungs of the ladder!  He pretty much stays around his 2 ladies and my bantam Silkie takes care of the rest of the "big girls"!
I added 3 Russian Orloffs to my flock this spring just because I liked the way they looked and was interested in experiencing their "life style".  They are super friendly and love to be held, eat out of my hand, etc.  One of them I believe is a Rooster as        he is twice the size of the females and has his rooster tail.  His coloring is the speckled Orloff with magnificent fluorescent aquamarine feathers in his tail and in his wings.  The thing I am wondering is that...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ZeEY-kt7A   kappelmd:  Enjoy
Hi everyone!   I just started blogging a couple of days ago without introducing myself first.  This Spring will mark the beginning of my second year with my "ladies" as I call them.  I do have a "Roo" by accident when I purchased two Japanese Silkies for my grandson last Easter. He, however, is adorable and indispensable. He is blue and handsome as can be.  He is the caretaker of my 9 other heritage breed ladies: (1 Dominique, 1 Plymouth Rock, 1 Silver Laced...
To Golden Feather, a thank you!  I am expecting my first postal order from My Pet Chicken on Wednesday.  My babies will most likely be shipped to Portland, OR and then brought the 50 miles up the mountain (Mt. Hood).  I will anxiously be awaiting their call to go pick them up and get them into their warm brooder.  After reading some of the stories I began to worry about my decision to order through a hatchery.  I hope it will be a good experience.  Again, thank you...
Welcome!  And as for your Plymouth Rock, mine is one of the most personal in my flock always coming into the coop, up the ladder to the roosts to be at eye level with me while I clean the "poop deck", as I call it.  She loves to peck my hair and make cackle conversation!  Enjoy yours.................bonus, beautiful eggs!
I'm going with Amerucana as well! I have one 4 days old that looks just like it!
Isn't that the truth!  Grandma didn't have all the books, rules, specifications, restrictions, dos and don'ts list, age charts, etc. and the chickens were fine, healthy and tasty at just about any age!  I read everything I can get my hands on, worry about everything I might not be doing right, worry about what they eat, are they warm enough, what should I be doing that I'm not doing yet, what changes should be made.....My husband thinks I am paranoid and we have the most...
Does anyone have any experience with chicks being mailed from "My Pet Chicken"?
Just for the spring and summer (veggie and flower garden) growing season, you might consider trimming their wing tips so that they cannot fly so high.  I know that if we want our organic veggies this year for ourselves and them, there may have to be some extra supervision until Fall after the majority of the harvest.  The beautiful Summer weather here in Mt. Hood region of Oregon means our best shot at outdoor gardening until it gets dark at 10:00 pm, so it should not be...