Posts by crittergarden

Thanks so much for the hen cam! I'll be a regular.
I use "Woody Pet", which is also an equine pellet thing, for my house rabbit's litterbox. But when I put it in the compost pile, I extinguished the composting action. This is why I'm leaning tiward straw or hay in the coop. ANybody had good experience with straw/hay?
Anybody had success with deep straw or deep hay instead of deep shavings?   Alternatively, how well do the shavings break down in the compost pile?        
Thanks for the link LOthiriel - do you use shavings or straw?   Surely you put the poop on your garden OFF season, right?   Chicklover, I hear you,too. Weighing my options....  
I'm new and I haven't even built a coop yet. Been trying to read up before I start.   I'm uncertain about pests. I read that to keep mites, lice, fleas, mice, and rats at bay, you need to keep the coop clean.   And I read that deep litter requires cleanout only 2-4 times a year.   Which way do I go? Anybody got pest troubles from deep litter???   I am a gardener, so I'm very interested in the composting. I feel deep litter would be best, but I do NOT...
I'm new and I haven't even built a coop yet. Been trying to read up before I start.   I'm uncertain about pests. I read that to keep mites, lice, fleas, mice, and rats at bay, you need to keep the coop clean. And I read that deep litter requires cleanout only 2-4 times a year. Which way do I go? Anybody got pest troubles from deep litter???   I am a gardener, so I'm very interested in the composting.
  I had heard about diatomaceous earth for lice and mites - didn't mention fleas, though. But the link you sent clearly does. Thank you!
NOBODY's got flea advice for me????
  You took the words right out of my mouth!    
FIRST WORDS OUT OF YOUR MOUTH: "I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner Mom, but..." The "I'm sorry" will soften her. "Don't get mad" and things like that will steel her up.   Good luck, kiddo. Honesty is always the best. ALmost never the easiest at first, but the best in the long run.   peace