Posts by WI FarmChick

I do feed my own mix, its at 17.25% I also have a vitamin supplement (from my feed mill) i add to the mix. (until i find something else) I also give greens every day and use wild finch seed mix (mostly millet) as scratch. until big enough to eat whole grains I grind some of the ingredients. How much should I up the protein? to 18 or 19%? More than this 20%?   I now have 1 with a crooked neck. Just started yesterday. I am down there just about every hour.  Is...
  Should i be concerned? My 2 week old chicks are eating the baby fuzzy from the ends of the new feathers and the ones flying around when they run and jump around. Could they be lacking something in the food department. Protein? I do feed my own mix (this is the first time i am doing this so I am doubting myself) or is this just "normal"  they run and snatch the floating fluff right from the air and they are going after the fluff on the others feathers too. do you...
  Gosh, Thanks Every one for the Awesome Welcome!  I have been looking around and I see everyone is so helpful and generous here. I am looking forward to meeting you all!   
  STOP...Are you sure you want to read this? You do know that if you read this, you just might want to raise some baby chicks like me and my family did..... OKAY...Here it goes...... Chickens are hilarious to watch, they are an all natural bug defense system for your yard. Also they are sweet and rewarding. You and your family will have hours of watching their funny scratching and chasing each other for that prize bug they just found. (Which reminds me of something...

That sounds like a good idea...I do have one I will have to give it a try...Thanks
Thanks Everyone!  Awesome welcome!    Oh it would be great to see what chookschick is using. I don't feel mine is well balanced. I don't really want to order feed ingredients. would like to be able to find things in my neck of the woods reasonably priced.   
  Hello, And thank you for starting this thread it is a great topic!               Well, I have 36 babies (layers) couple cockerels in there too.16 days old today. I know with feeding my family that fresh is best. I also know this would be true for my chicks I have been slowly adding grains to their diet. I do have a starter/grower as back up as i am extremely nervous about hurting them. But I have been keeping in mind what they would forage for in the woods by our...
  Hi Everyone, I am From WI. I Have 36,  2 week old babies. I raised 24 broilers with much success, couple 4-5 years back. I have had a dozen girls for laying. Until "life" got in the way. Had to give them up. (To a good neighbor.) So these are my latest babies, I wanted Fancy pants girls. But we have a hatchery about an hour away ( but limited on variety) I didn't like the idea of shipping them so I went and picked them up. My chicks went peep...peep...peep.. All...
Hi everyone, I have 36  2-3 week old cuties! :) I am using pine shavings and I am not liking the fact they eat it. I am very concerned.   I am wondering (after reading some posts) if alfalfa pellets would (when young, for limited time) work better than pelleted litter. They could eat it?...it would be better then non-food litter. Right?