Posts by chicken pickin

Yes I'm quoting myself lol.I just wanted to say after reading all the other great posts responding to Kezza666 that my post wasn't well thought out when I started typing. I should often put more thought into a post before responding and also be less quick when deciding to call birds gold as I forget that pics do often lie so we can't be sure. My feelings do still hold true about eliminating gold birds from breeding programs(as well as other flaws) but this comment is only...
Going by only that one pic you posted I personally would call that pullet gold. For me personally I am trying to breed toward the propsed SOP so I wouldn't use it in my breeding program nor would I sell it to others as breeding quality CL. I would sell any gold birds from my flock as a non breeder for a layer flock at a typical egg layer price not a legbar price. Gold birds make up the majority of CL that get rehomed as non breeding quality, blue eggers or even something...
I agree that maybe this email sent to you may not have been appropriate and likely made you feel upset. With her being well known all over the world for her Cream Legbars maybe she is seeing something in your flock that you dont see. Im sure like many serious breeders she likely only hopes the best of the CL will get sold as CL. Many of us sell our non breeder quality CLs as mixed breeds or Easter Eggers or just simply blue egg layers that way they dont get used for...
  Thank you both for responding. I do plan to hang on to her for a bit to see if the color changes. I have always read that they lay the darkest in the beginning and if you get a light egg now then that's it. I have 3 Marans hens and all of their first eggs were dark so I just assumed that's how it should go. Thanks though it gives me hope :) Ill post back with her egg color later if it changes. I still have 4 more Marans pullets waiting to lay their first eggs also.
Found 2 first eggs today( I think from the same pullet) from a 21 week old BCM pullet. I am very disappointed in the egg color, it's sort of a light chocolate milk color:( She will be culled from the breeder pen and very likely be rehomed to someone's layer flock. I'm bummed.
I wouldn't let those people get to you. Do your best to brush them off and move forward selling your Cream Legbar. Some people are just ignorant to new things or new ideas.
From these pics it is really hard to tell but at first glance I thought to say fertile
So Im wondering if possibly my newest little lone chick to hatch might not be pure CL. Its markings and color seem slightly off and it has a very tiny black dot on its head. Unless it is just a bad example of a male CL chick but I haven't run into that problem yet so Im not sure.   If it is a cross it would be a Silver Spangled Spitzhauben cockerel x Cream Legbar hen. He did jump the fence a few times while I still had him but Im not sure he mated the hens.   This is...
Congrats on your new Legbars! From what I hear people say roughly 24weeks is a typical age for a CL pullet to start laying though like all chickens the range can vary quite a bit.
It wasn't I that commented on the tetracycline I believe it was @lonnyandrinda. What I have going on with my hatches is just the same as your describing. Im thinking it could just be my 2 hens that are the problem since I have only even hatched CL eggs from them. I wont know for sure though until my younger CL pullets mature and I try to hatch from them but that wont be until next spring. Feels like such a long time to wait but Im willing to wait it out and try some...