Posts by SweetSilver

Wow, thanks donrae and howfunky!  That's the information I wanted to hear, about the breast coloring and comb development.  I know nothing about this breed or variety and frankly I'm relieved because I wasn't looking forward to maybe needing to dock their combs in order to show them for 4-H.   Yes, they are black breasted reds.   Wow.  That's a definite 11 out of 17 unsexed birds that are pullets.  Only 1 more sebright that still is showing a little ambiguity.  Can't...
OK, last bump.  If I completely ignored the odds, I would have to go with bantamlover's guess of all pullets.  OEGs simply can't be that much slower to develop than my other breeds.  With so many birds, I should be seeing distinct differences in at least one or 2, and I'm not seeing anything.  With modest comb development and no overt cockerel behavior-- not even any of the mini-cock-fights I saw a first-- I must assume they are pullets.  The cockerels in this batch are...
If that shoulder feathering is more rusty than it appears in the photo, I would be confident in guessing cockerel.  I'm still leaning towards that.  Not sure.  Comb looks well developed for 7 weeks.
I would hope that you are right, but I know that their juvenile feathers can look different from adult feathers.  And the chances of getting 5 pullets from an unsexed batch is not good, right?  My guess so far is that #1 might be a male and #2 a female.  I have always thought Trouble (#5) is female, but I'm not sure, and not sure about the other two.   Meanwhile, our sebright cockerel is crowing (or trying to--it sounds like someone is killing him) with a big, red comb...
OK, here they are.  Beware the backlighting in some photos.  They can make the combs appear redder than they are with no back lighting.  For example, this first chick has the reddest comb of the bunch (by a hair) but a picture of another chick appears redder when it is not.  You'll see why I really want to know when the adult feathering comes in so I have something else to go on.     Here's our biggest, "guy".  Honestly, I had a hard time choosing which was the exact...
My girls are getting pictures, for what it's worth.  They don't look much different from each other, but I told them to order them by size, and include one picture with the largest and smallest together.   Stay tuned.
Subbing to this thread.  OP, I have some 6 week black breasted red OEGs and have some of the same questions.
When should I start seeing adult feathers?     I have 5 OEG chicks, 6 weeks old, that are a partridge-type coloring ("black breasted red" from Cackle Hatchery).  So far, unlike their flockmates of different breeds, I am seeing very little differentiation in comb size and color, leg size and size in general.     Confounding, I say!     Even their behavior doesn't scream "COCKEREL!"  I have seen one or two miniature cock fights that lasted a millisecond, but compared...
Partridge rock cockerel
What color are those feet?  My first guess would be Columbian (color) Wyandotte (breed), or mixed with one.  I'm not the expert though.  I just like to find out I'm right, it makes me feel like I actually know something.  If that doesn't happen, then I'll have learned something.   You need a better picture.  Preferably standing normally, full body shot.