Posts by SweetSilver

Thanks!  Free is good......
Does anybody know:   1. How much the March 16th Feather Fanciers show in Monroe is going to cost?   and    2.  Is there anything happening in the Chehalis area show-wise in the nearish future?     My girls want to see a show.
Wasn't there a thread not too long ago about the odd things we say?  I'd say this is a fine candidate.  I'd like to ask that one to people who know nothing about raising chickens and see what they think......
Sorry for the delayed response....haven't been here for a few days....   Just...pokey... like how dried grass and weed stalks get.  They can poke through the paper and spoil the paper.  You do not want gaps in the paper/cardboard. A fix would be to reapply paper to the area wear the tear occurred.  
Yes...sheet mulch.  Use layers of newspaper or card board, over lapped and if cardboard wetted down.  Then add new topsoil and/or mulch on top.  Unless it's pokey, do not mow the grass or weeds, simply squash them down.  That's why cardboard is better. 
Just the tree chips that have composted in place.
Do you live in an area where tree chips are free and abundant?  If so, pile it on!  The deeper the better.  Then wait a season and start planting in the fall.  If the chips haven't decomposed enough to have already made some good soil below, then add good soil in each planting hole, down to the native soil.  You can level the yard, add good, humus-y material and kill the grass all in one feel swoop.
I'll hazard a guess.....golden pencilled?  I really have little experience with this.  I will jump right out of my socks if I'm right.   Bantams still come in all different sizes--our bantam ee's were quite a bit larger than our bantam Wyandottes which were bigger than our d'anvers, and all our Silver Pencilled Rocks were so tiny and frail...... I lost all 3 on the first day for several reasons, but they were as tiny as a cotton ball.  I think you have a bantam there,...
Late response....   Wyandottes and Plymouth Rocks and Easter Eggers are all great breeds.  Orpingtons are sweet as cherry pie, but can be a bit broody, which might be frustrating for first timers.
May 15 is the last USDA frost date for much of western WA.  Six weeks before last frost date is the typical recommendation for tomatoes.  That makes it around April 1st.  Squash should not be too large when planted outside--they don't appreciate having roots disturbed, but perhaps you can start them in peat pots.  The do better when planted in place--on mounds or in raised beds where the soil temp can get good and high.  In the past, I had great success starting squash...