Posts by SweetSilver

Funny.  Mine hate chard and beet leaves (but beet roots ground up in the food processor--yum!)  They love collard greens and brussels sprouts leaves best of all. This time of year for treats: hulled sunflower seeds and raisins.  And the collard greens look pretty bug eaten and unappetizing to me, so I'm throwing big handfuls of those in every day. They also love the wet mash I give them every couple of days--expensive, organic, lovely feed that I soak so they get all the...
 But why isn't the area growing grass?  Too much shade?  Too much compaction?  Chickens gobbling up the seedlings?     The forage crops sound safe enough, but if you can't grow grass, you have a good chance not being able to grow much forage.   I have found with our own garden/chicken rotation system that the compaction is only surface deep, assuming that the ground was not compacted to begin with and the chickens were not on it for more than a few months.
Ah yes.... 7.  I always thought I need to hide the coop away from the view, but the minute I had pullets n our first coop, I realized what I really wanted was a big sliding glass door and a couple of lazy boys looking out upon the action.  Chickens are more fun that most television.  Don't tuck the coop away, put it front and center or you will be out in the coop all the time. 8.  Keep a 5-gal bucket or folding lawn chair outside the coop for a clean place to sit inside...
I don't know about 10, but here's a few:   1.  Agree about the bigger everything.   2.  Rain does not fall straight down where I live, sorry.  Every single one of the "featured coops" on this site would not keep anything dry.  Terrible, terrible designs.  Make the covered part of the run wide enough with at least one side that shields it from rain (and sun).   3.  There is no good way to move a broody hen with a clutch of eggs.  You'd think they would stay with the...
Do the girls have single combs?  That little buff and brown one looks like a d'anvers. They have slate legs and beards, and rosecombs.  The male I don't know.   Not a d'anvers.     Yes, better pics.
I'd vote to nix the roosters as well.  3 and 5yo was around the ages my girls were when we had our first flock, and even without a rooster, one hen became very upset when the girls would pick others up.   As far as the hatchery breeds go, in my experience, the Orpingtons have always been the best for picking up, but even they can quickly become averse to children.  I found the Wyandottes and RIR to be calm but not enough to pick up, but I haven't had extensive...
It's hard to tell from the picture, but the feathers of the gray one's crest look distinctly round to me.  =pullet
Thanks for the help!  You've articulated perfectly the differences I saw.  Every one was fatter and bunchier than mine, and their beards were fuller by far.  Glad to know that the differences don't come down to what we are feeding and their level of activity.  I love that they are active, bright, bold little birds with heaps of personality that make all our big girls seem dull by comparison (half of our big pullets are still terrified of Midnight!)  I know we'll be...
The only times I would not offer access to chicken poo in the compost pile is 1) if I'm trying to keep separate flocks and want to minimize contact for any reason.  Like the pp poster said, chickens walk through their own manure all the time, even in the cleanest of coops and runs.  But 2) if I'm dealing with a heavy worm infestation and need to limit access to even their own manure.   Otherwise, manure is a great addition to the compost that chickens can scratch into....
I've been lurking for a little while, and wanted to say "hello".  I have had 2 quail d'anvers (alas, hatchery, but so sweet) for the last 2 years.  Down to one, unfortunately.  Here's Midnight.  I've posted these pics before elsewhere:     Midnight, or "Middy"    Halloween, or "Beeny" (this pic is entitled Bucket of Chicken)   I must say that I adore the breed, and plan on getting more at some point.  Hatchery, for now.  But anyhow, why I piped up today to post was...