Posts by JAllender

He is back to his old shenigans! After about a week he has started to crow and just gotten out of hand.... He lunges at the coop if you walk out there.... He just is not pleasant!   I was hoping we would have a nice rooster... We handled him all the time and then all of sudden he just has gotten nasty! I don't understand!!! I wanted a nice rooster!!! Why oh why do I always get a nasty one!!!!   Jen
After further investigation... I walked out there and again he ran from me.... So I stood and observed him.... And whenever he would crow before he would flap his wings..... and then crow.... He tries to flap his wings and it looks like he can't flap on... so then he just walks away...   I think maybe he is wounded on a wing... How do you tell if it is broken?!  He is not dragging it at all... Just when he goes to stretch out.... He won't move one of them at...
I just walked out there right now and walked in the coop... and he is horrified with me... He ran to the other end of the coop... Got in the corner and when I got close he ran to another corner!!!   Maybe we broke him........ and he realized he is not Rule of the Roost anymore!   I wonder if he will he still mate with the hens or is he stripped of his man hood!. I wanted to have babies in spring...   What is the benefits of a ROOSTER?! :)
So we have been having problems with our Rooster he is about 9-11 months old . I love him to death. He is like a watch rooster... crows when someone pulls up in our lane.... Crows when he sees me... Crows when he sees the kids... and I love it..   But he started coming after my kids... when they were grazing in the evening... so I went up to him to try to smooth things over with my daughter and he went after me... and then kept coming back at me when i turned my...
Thats exactly what we did! :) We have food and water in two spots!   Last ngiht when I caught each one of them... WHich wasn't fun in 100 degree weather..... and I put them in the coop they stayed in there for the night!   Just wondering how long i will have to keep putting them in the coop!?! If I don't do it... they huddle in the corner scared   Jen  
So we merged the younger chickens (18 weeks) with the older chickens... and I was hoping you all would tell me when these chickens will accept them...   The buff orphingtons are too sweet they are older chicks and don't ever do anything to anybody....   We have two black astrolaps and they are kinda nice...   and then we have the rest barred rocks and the funniest thing is the meanest hen is one of the ones that got caught by a racoon but I tended to her and...
Definitely going to try this!   But worried it might be too late for her.....she has lost all color in her comb... I went to check on her today... It's pouring rain... but I went out and she had moved from where she was laying all day yesterday but she had pooped all over herself... :( BUt he comb hardly has any color and she wont let me get a hold of her... She has gotten to a part of the coop where I can't reach her I was thinking about getting a broom and make her...
She is 6 yrs old... and I honestly dont think she is laying eggs either...   Do you think it could possibly be old age?   Jen
I dont think I want to seperate her.... I have heard that it really stresses them out!!!!!! Last night when they all went to bed one of the hens would not settle down she was cackling and cackling.... I think she knew something was wrong... it took her a good 10 min to settle down before she roosted for the night....   I think that its just time... :/   Jen
So usually my hens run when I come to feed them... occassionally i will catch one and they will be fine and let me pet them... I have one hen who is laying in the coop on the floor and when i came up to her she just turned her head and laid there.....   She let me pet her and i just have a feelin she is dying... :(   She is about 6 yrs old....   What do you guys think?   Jen