Posts by CLOUDNINE

Thanks, y'all. I have a safety zone set up for them, and have left the big girls in the run at night and the chicks in the house, but everytime I try opening the door in between, one gets killed. A friend of mine has said she will take the adult chickens and put them in her grown flock, so I might just do that. I want to try integrating them one more time before I take the big girls, but I have to wait until I am home all day (tomorrow). I just hate the thought of losing...
I have 9 three month old chicks that I have been trying to integrate into my "flock" of 2 one year old hens. I started with 12 chicks and have had three get killed by the older girls. Everytime I try to let them all run together another chick gets killed. I managed to "rescue" one of the chicks on Sunday where they had already torn him up a little, and he seems to be doing ok now. I built him a little "hospital wing" in the hen house so he could be safe, but he flew over...
This if fun :)   Started last year with my first chicks, got 6 cause TSC only sells 6   Went away on summer vacation and a raccoon (we think) fatally hurt 3, but didn't actually get in the pen- so ended up down to 3.   Still have the 3 (2 hens and 1 roo) but wanted a few more to get more eggs and replace lost ones- got 16 (ordered 15, the minimun order, and got an extra)   Managed to find homes for 4 of them, so now I have 12 more new ones to try and...
I was able to find a bag of "chick grit" at TSC. It's little tiny flecks of grit, so I have been using that. My chicks are 2 weeks old and am wondering what I can feed them aside from their starter feed, too ;)
I can't really help you with this but I wanted to say that I have a chick now that I have been watching for the past 2 weeks because of the same thing. She (was supposed to be sexed for me when I ordered them), has held her wings "out" from her body since I got her at 2 days old. She seems a little slower than the other chicks, but still eats, drinks, etc just fine. The only things I have noticed about her- I haven't seen her flap her wings like the others, I also...
Washed two baby butts this morning. Just put a little warm water in a sink and held them with their butts in the water and gently worked the poop loose. Once I was done I just held them on top of some toilet paper for a few minutes to dry them off.  Worked great! They didn't fuss much at all and they are happily pooping just fine now :) Although I did have to giggle at one of them- when I put them back in the brooder, they both started cleaning themselves from the last...
This is a great thread, OP! Thanks :) Can you feed peeps activia (blueberry)? Does it help with pasty butt?
My peeps are here! Yay! They all look really good so far. MPC did send one extra and I'm hoping it is not a roo, but they specified on the box that they added one extra hen, so hopefully it is :D
Thanks to all of you!! I will look into the "killing cone"(?) for taking care of it ;) That sounds more user friendly than the only other way I have seen it done.   I am getting some more chicks and wanted to have a method should any more of them turn out to be roosters. The one rooster I have is plenty! ;)
There is a lot of information about roosters and behavior, etc. BUT, I can't seem to find any information about actually how to humanely cull one. I read that to get a hold of a mean rooster you need to take him off the roost at night, but how do you then process him? Break the neck? Cut the head off? etc? And how do you do it humanely, where they don't get stressed out before hand?   Thanks!