Posts by normanack

One of the hens (the original one) has squirreled herself into a dark corner, for about three days now. Because of the droppings shelf, it's very difficult to get to her. I did crawl down to her to see if she'd turkey up like broodies do, and she did -- right after she nailed me with her beak. She packs a punch! When I get a chance I'll grab any egg(s) she may have. I may put an upside-down big old fry pan on her nesting spot to discourage brooding.
Thanks one and all for sharing your experience with broodiness in Rocks!
How common is it for a heritage Barred Rock hen to go broody? Thanks.
I like that stuff on combs and also for respiratory infections. From drugs.com: Active Ingredient(s): Made with 3.3% (v-v) alcohol U.S.P. The mixture contains Canada balsam, camphor, oil origanum, oil rosemary, blended in a corn oil base.
What's the name of the product, and from what company?
Fred, how old?
Do these look like White Rocks to you? 1930s:
If the hen had been in contact with another rooster before she was in the Cream Legbar pen -- even as much as a month before -- that could be it.
PEI Chicken, your birds are beautiful, as well as their coop and your whole place.
There are imperfections in every line. It's such a new breed here, and with a new club in the process of making a specific, coherent, and understandable Standard of Perfection, that I wouldn't worry overmuch at present about variations in particular lines. There is a whole lot of variation in the North American Cream Legbar population. It will take awhile for it to settle out. Learn what you can, watch the breed develop, and most of all, enjoy your fabulous Cream Legbars. :-)