Posts by ChooksChick

Hiya! The Ribbeck roo is just that, not split to anything, and yes, I would separate him and ship. I'll need you to have a box sent to me, however. I'm NPIP, so shipping is no biggie.  I'll go $35 for him.   I have sold some of the Cochins, but I still have the Chocolate pair, a juvenile pair, and a few odds and ends in chicks I have yet to figure out. I have at least one Mottled Blue cockerel in the juvies, I think. I'll try to get a list for certain.
Indeed, good luck with the move, Josie!   Word came down the pike that you may need to rehome a Big Black Orp dude. If so, I will still be doing birds for some time and I have some Chocolate Orp hens who would love a new fellow.    On the move part of it, I have sworn I would never do it again, but after 15 years in one house, I am starting to feel like I may manage it after the kids are gone without much issue.     Danz, I'm so sorry you are having pure crud right...
Hiya! I would guess that what is happening is that she's trying to re-establish her position in the coop at night so she doesn't fall to the bottom of the pecking order. It's not uncommon for lower birds to really forcefully tell the other in-comers that the new ones are lower than her (and don't you forget it! Bop!) just to hold her own. As her chicks grow up they might move up the ladder past her, and she's concerned. I had a similar situation and what I did was...
Perhaps reversing the order of the names will still get your humor across while respecting the diverse population here on BYC?   I'm afraid you'll have ruffled everyone's feathers before you've said a word with it as it is now.   The coyote puppy is back. This time I got within 6' of it before it stopped trying to figure how to get into my brooder yard. I was shouting at it the whole time, and once the sound and proximity broke through its predation mode, it got this...
Hola!! Sounds like a perfect cake for a little girl (or a big girl!) on her birthday!Have you considered the plastic bottle irrigation method? You poke tens of holes in water/soda bottles, bury them adjacent to your plants, then when you water, you fill the bottles. It gives a slow release bit of irrigation while you're suffering from fast drainage. If you cap the bottles it goes a bit longer.   I have trick ankles and fall when I step on a pea-sized pebble if I don't see...
I am getting out of the breeding side for a while folks...   The project has been started and there are some adult females I've been breeding all year as well as some split males in the mix. The breeding group is for sale at this point.     Here is a link to the sale page, and I'll itemize out the Marans sometime today.
In general, when they get to this stage, the easy way to confirm is to bend the feathers back about an inch or two in front of the base of the tail and look at the feathers growing in there.   If feathers are skinny and shiny as they grow in, it's a cockerel.   If feathers look pretty much like all the other feathers and aren't pointed, skinny and shiny, it's likely a pullet.
What a cool looking tree! I would be unhappy about the 'Sputniks' with my bare foot favoritism, however. I hate to wear shoes.   There are a couple of trees that dump things that look like that around here, but I don't recall any fall leaves that look so nice. I think it's the Sycamores around here, and they have leaves like dinner plates, drop twigs on you if you look at them wrong, and bark that peels off in big sheets.    Oh, my. Look at this...   Wikipedia says:...
I've moved the listing portion to the original post!   Thanks for looking.
Forgot- there is info in my profile about all of the breeds, if you want to poke around!