Posts by outdoorbunny

Hi everyone, I'm having some serious bad luck hatching out mail order hatching eggs.  My incubator is working because I always put a few of my hen's eggs in along with the mail order ones and....my eggs hatch but the mail order ones do not.  I'm thinking about throwing in the towel with mail orders and sticking to local hatching eggs only.    Does anyone live in central virginia that has some fertile eggs that I can purchase?  The breeds I would really like are...
Well, no more eggs hatched!  I'm going to give it one more day.  Come Saturday I should have 8 eggs from my own Blue Laced Red Wyandottes to set.  I'm excited to see how these turn out.  Does anyone have any secrets to hatching out shipped eggs?  Out of 86 shipped eggs, not one has hatched for me.
I have 6 pairs of button quail and when the momma quail hatches her own babies, I just put 1/4 inch wire around the cage to hold in the little ones.  But when I hatch out the cuties, I keep them in a 20 gallon aquarium with a little stuff animal in it along with the heat lamp.  I use puppy pads (without the perfume) on the bottom and change it out every day to prevent amonia build up.  I keep them there until they get their feathers in then move them to a cage with 1/2"...
Well, I'm thinking it's the shipping.  I did have a hovabator go bad on me and the company replaced it right away.  Then they suggested that I put in a second thermometer and a non-shipped egg in along with the mail ordered ones as a control.  If my hen's egg hatches with no problems, chances are it's the shipping that is messing up the eggs. It just kills me that out of 26 mail ordered eggs only 8 made it this far.  Hopefully, tonight when I get home I'll have more new...
I found the Reptipro online.  The ad said it was good for incubating chicken/bird and reptile eggs.  I wanted a second incubator as a back up so I thought I would try it.    I also have a hovabator 1588 and right now I have 9 eggs that were due to hatch yesterday in it.  So far only one had hatched and it was from my hen.  The rest were mail ordered from My Pet Chicken.  I started out with 27 eggs but after candling I was down to 9 at lock down. 
I'll join you.  I just got in a new incubator...the Reptipro so I'm going to give it a try using eggs from my hens.  I'm going to be setting 6-8 eggs either this Saturday or Sunday.  They are Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. 
Hi everyone!  Happy New Year!  I have 9 eggs in the incubator with the hatch date landing on New Year's Day. Eight eggs were mail orders and 1 was from my own blue laced red wyandotte. New Year's Day went by and not even a single pip... then I woke up this morning to a lone chick that hatched during the night....and it was the one from my hen. I had started out with 26 shipped eggs and the 1 from my hen but by lockdown I was down to 9 total.   I'm hoping when I get home...
Just wanted to give an update on Roscoe. I separated him and one of the hens that wasn't doing very well. I gave them both Tylan 50 in their drinking water for 5 days. And just waited. On day 6 I noticed a big difference in Roscoe. He was standing better and was trying to walk. By the end of day 7, he was walking with a slight limp but so much better than before. His eyes looked normal again and he wasn't bumping into things. The little hen was right behind him. They both...
I have 2 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hens that are 28 weeks old (7 Months old) and neither one is laying eggs yet.  Is this normal for wyandottes?  I have 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes the same age and they have been laying eggs for weeks now.   They are showing no signs of even thinking about laying!  And their combs are still very light pink too.  I may be new to chickens but I do know that these are girls....I also have a BLR Rooster, Roscoe, and he looks completely...
Just recently one of the guinea hens started being chased away from the group by a couple of the other guineas.  What would cause this?  They (6 total) all have been together since they were 1 week old (that's when I bought them).  They are now 17 weeks old.  They roost in a coop at night and have a large run to play in during the day.  They were all getting along until a few weeks ago, one of the guineas just died.  I still do not know why he/she died.  It was...