Posts by outdoorbunny

I just went out and really looked at her foot.  At first I didn't see any black spot on the bottom of the foot and her scales on her legs are raised which looks like leg mites.  But then I did see a very very small grey spot so....I'm thinking it's bumble foot.  I just feel awful.     I'm up to doing the surgery to save her but my husband is out of town for the next two weeks so I don't have a surgery buddy to help me.     Is it possible that it could be something...
Really? I didn't realize mites could do this much damage. I have over 50 chickens. There is no way I can catch all of them to put Vaseline on their legs. Is there something else I can do?
I just went out to the hen coop and found one of my easter eggers already roosting.  She's in a heavy molting stage so I just thought she was taking a time out for herself.  Then I noticed that she wasn't putting any weight on her foot.   She has a huge growth between her claws and the bottom pad is severely swollen.  The growth is hard but the pad is warm to the touch.     I have never seen anything like this.  What do I need to do to help her?  When I picked her up...
Some of my 1year old hens started laying odd shape eggs. Does any one know why this happens? Some are long and some are very pointy. Is there something I can do to help fix them?
My chickens range from 3 years old to 6 weeks. The light thing is something I do every night for them. And I'll probably will keep doing it.
We turn on a light while they make their way into the coop each night. Then after they settle down on their perch, of coarse after grabbing a quick drink or a bit of food, I turn off their light.
Maybe they feel safe with you around. Were they in a pen with several hens in the past? I think chickens feel safer in numbers. Maybe just by getting another hen or a rooster will help them feel secure while roaming the garden. Plus having freedom is new to them. They just may need time to adjust.
My chickens love the rain but if its raining hard, they will either go in the coop or under something. At first, they wouldn't go in the coup at all until I turned on the light for them. They don't like entering dark places. During a day time rain storm it gets pretty dark in the coop. Maybe turn a light on in the coop during rainy days. I do have two hens that refuse to go in the coop during any type of rain. I think they are too interested in getting to the worms first....
Thank you all for your advise.  I wasn't too surprised by the second rooster's aggression.  We were planning on culling him anyway but my husband was so busy that we kept putting it off.  Now he is gone, (a little too late of course) but I was surprised to see the 9 month old EE Rooster start to pick on my alpha as soon as I removed the second one.  I want harmony in my flock and my original alpha (a wyandotte)  is very sweet and took great care of the hens.  So I'm...
I need some advise on my rooster situation.  I have 40 hens and 3 roosters.  The group was happy and there was no fighting.  Then a couple of weeks ago, the second rooster attacked my alpha rooster and nearly killed him.  This rooster has always been aggressive, even with us, but our alpha kept him in line.  After the fight, we separated the aggressive rooster away from the group.  It took about a week to nurse back the blooded rooster but now all he does is hide.  He even...