Posts by Tootie123

Well don't see any clogged poo on their behinds but I will pick them up and look more closely.  Out of 8 hens, three might be laying. Five with clogged vents, doesn't seem likely. They could be molting....see one hen that her feathers are disheveled and unruly looking......others look okay. Molting is when they loose feathers and get new ones, right? I do feed them scratch feed and laying pellets combined..... course am keeping them penned up more since the...
Have eight hens and they have quit laying eggs.  Used to get anywhere from 6-7 eggs a day, now down to 2-3..... Hens are all less than 2 years old.  Had one hen taken by a hawk the other week.  Are they suffering emotional trauma from that?  When they are let out to free range now, they stay under cover.  Don't let them out very often, can't afford to loose many more.  Started with 10 hens, down to 8 now. Just don't understand why they are not laying? Any ideas?
Thanks for your replies.  Will try to give girls some treats....know they love the meal worms.  They like bread and cracker crumbs too.....hanging greens would be good for them to pick at.  Hate to keep them up all the time but as I said, chicken hawks are in the area and would hate to loose any more.   Neighbor next door has chickens and he is always loosing his chickens to hawks.  Have seen a fox one time also out by their coop.  They free range around the house...
I do indeed use apple cider vinegar in their water regularly. I use the indigenous dirt in their coop and in their food on a regular basis. I clean the coop out completely and wash it down with disinfectant  and bleach to clean germs every 6 months. I check them for mites and lice, don't see any. The coop is part of a garden shed that has been sectioned off and probably 8 feet by 10 feet in size.  Should be quite adequate for 8 hens. Don't know why the Plymouth Rock...
I started with 10 hens.  Two Rhode Island Reds, four Plymouth Rocks and four Buff Orphingtons. I am down to 8 hens.  One Rock died mysteriously....just fine one day, dead the next.  Lost a Rhode Island Red just a couple of days ago.  Flock was all free ranging, she was with flock in the afternoon, come evening when I locked them in their coop for the night, she is gone.  Just disappeared, no evidence left behind.  Feathers or nothing.....either a hawk or some other...
Hummmm.....I will print that article and keep it on hand.  My mind will never remember all of that. None of my chickens have molted yet......probably this Fall the older two will. They will be almost two years in age. Have to see, as you say "each is an individual. I suppose sometime either next Spring or Fall will buy a few more chicks.  Where does one take chickens to have them butchered? Probably could look on Internet for someone in my area who does...
I have nine chickens, two of which are almost 1 1/2 yrs. old, rest are almost a year old.  When do chickens quit laying eggs?  I would like to keep at least 8-10 chickens at all times.  Coop can't support any more than that.  Don't want any roosters, just hens. I order chicks but when should I order more so will have a constant supply of eggs?  Don't really know at what age chickens stop laying? How do you tell which ones are laying and which ones...
I see no worms....course maybe I don't know what I am looking for. Well, seems like a big procedure to go thru to see what she died of.... They all look healthy, don't seem to be under weight at all.  Eat well, free range most every day. We have had so much rain here lately in Atlanta and noticed that there are toadstools in the yard,  wonder if she could have eaten them and if they were poison.....don't chicken know instinctively when something is...
Have used the idea of isolating this hen and it worked. Put her in a cage by herself without any bedding material just food and water for a couple of days.....then she was fine.  Went about her normal routine after that. Thanks for the help......
Found one of my hens this morning in distress. She was trembling all over, waddle and comb very pale in color.  Wasn't long before she passed.  I give them vinegar with their water about once a month as suggested by persons on this website for treatment of worms.  Could she have died of worm infestation? Have the indigenous dirt (or whatever it is called) for their pens to keep down mites, etc.  About the only thing I give them extra except for the laying...