Posts by tellynpeep

Well, that figures.. Thanks!
Hi.  I currently have a young cockerel that a friend found at a roadside rest stop.  He is extremely friendly (comes when I call him, follows my dog and me on walks..), so I suspect he was handled a lot before whoever had him realized he was a he......    I have never had any of the "Red" breeds, and wonder if anyone here can ID him for me. He has strikingly yellow legs. RIR, NH, Buckeye...?  Thanks!  
They also eat carrion.  Here is a pic of one at a kill site of a dead doe (one of two I found in my back woods during hunting season.)  In this pic he is seeing the approach of a coyote... note the arched back.   (At this kill site, I also got Black Bear, multiple Coyotes, red fox, and opossum ... all in a two day period!)
Barred Owl, with a mink in its talons!  (OK, I cheated; I came upon this owl while showshoeing down by the beaver pond.  It tried to fly away with its prize but couldn't get off the ground, so flew away; I returned and set up the camera on the kill site.)   BTW, the mink was beheaded when I found it, so I guess owls can be another culprit when we find headless birds...
Hi all,   I'm reviving this thread as my 2012 Bushnell Trophy cam (which got me GREAT pics and video for a while) decided to just stop working.  Zip, nada, nothing....   It is, of course, out of warranty.   So I'm in the market for a new camera and am a bit shy of the Bushnells.   I'm looking for recommendations by folks who love (or hate) their cameras, and why... (Besides guarding the chickens, I am signed up to take part in a Bobcat study that starts soon, and need...
Egg color question:   Last year I hatched some eggs from my Wheaten Ameraucanas bred to my Welsummer roo. (Who by the way was the best boy EVER; I set these eggs after he got taken by a fox... I wasn't planning to make EEs, but I love 'em!)   Out of that batch I kept a girl (who looks like a perfect mix of the two: faded tan with Welsummer markings) who is a nice green-egg layer, and a boy (who looks like a Wheaten Am with a poor comb).    Now I've bred him back to my...
I don't know where your news program gets its information.  I am active in the hawk-watch program in NH, and I can tell you the big push of migrants (where we see hundreds or even more in a day) was over in Sept.  We are now seeing mostly accipiters (Sharp-shinned and Coopers Hawks mostly) and some falcons.  The watch site closest to me saw just over 100 birds on Saturday.  None yesterday as it poured rain all day.   If you want to follow the numbers, go to: www.hawkcount.org
They've hatched...2 survivors :-(     The new mom is keeping them warm and dry, but apparently still thinks she is sitting on eggs, not chicks (remember, she just went broody 2 days ago..).  What should I do?  Any ideas?  Thanks!
Yeah... she's accepted the eggs, but they should all be hatching in the next day or so.  Will the hatching break her broodiness so that she will care for the chicks?   
I set some eggs under a new broodie 3 weeks ago.  Yesterday I found one of the eggs out of the nest, ice cold.  It had pipped but the chick was long dead when I found the egg.  This morning I went out to find her eating a new hatchling.  Just now I checked her again and she was trying to kill yet another.  Three strikes...   Here's my question:  I have a hen who decided to go broodie TODAY.  What are the chances if I put the remaining (only 3 left) incubated ,and now...